Hypothetical Automation - "I'm still running!"

So kind of a weird idea/musing, but I've been contemplating setting up some sort of automation that sends out a "I'm still running" e-mail to admins every hour just so it's a bit easier to keep an eye on the community and ensure it's still up. We have some massive issues with network instability (not due to Telligent - it's just how our infrastructure is), so right now I find myself rather obsessively checking.

How would you go about writing something like this? Any ideas?

Parents
  • This should be possible with a general purpose automation configured with a scheduled trigger (instead of when an event occurs).

So, for example:

And then the implementation just uses the email API:

var subject = 'Community Running';
    var body = 'Community is still Running';
    var from = 'from@email.com';
    var to = 'to@email.com';

core_v2_email.Send(subject , body, { 
        FromEmail: from, 
        ToEmail: to
    });

This would effectively test that both the database and job server are running, since those would be required for this to be sent. It wouldn't, unfortunately, identify whether all of the web nodes are running, or whether the bus is running and if all app nodes and job server are connected to the bus, or whether SOLR is running. These would all be important aspects of the health of the deployment as well.

Here's the exported automation:

<automation name="Still Running" version="11.0.0.0" description="Sends an intermittent email to identify that the job server is still running" id="20cf018786784657800b13fd88e27ea4" executeAsServiceUser="true" isSingleton="true" trigger="Job" schedule="1h" lastModified="2020-07-06 15:57:43Z">
    	<executionScript language="JavaScript"><![CDATA[var subject = 'Community Running';
    var body = 'Community is still Running';
    var from = 'from@email.com';
    var to = 'to@email.com';

core_v2_email.Send(subject , body, { 
        FromEmail: from, 
        ToEmail: to
    });]]></executionScript>
    </automation>

• Ah! Thank you. I'll give this a try.

And yes, I very much agree there are many things that need to be checked on a regular basis to ensure the community is running as it should be, but the easiest check of all is "Am I still receiving notifications?". All the other possible issues are less than ideal, but the community being up and notifications running are definitely the most customer facing.

Reply Children
No Data