Public Groups under Private?

I feel like I'm just trying all the wrong searches, but simple question: If I have 2 "public" sub-groups under a "private" group, are the public groups accessible to anyone outside of the private group membership? Or are they private because of the parent?

The explanation: A group that needs some level of privacy has 2 sub-groups that share members. They don't want to have to approve membership to 2 sub-groups, and would rather administer it through just one.

Thanks!

Parents
  • Hi Jillian, great question! Yes, you can have public groups underneath a private group and they will indeed be public. For my own sanity check, I just tested on this site and all worked well. Just make sure your users can navigate to the public groups in whatever manner you choose and they'll be able to join right in or request to join to start contributing. Let us know if you need any help setting this up or have further questions. Thanks!

P.S. I'll add this specific use case to our documentation to help out future searches!

• Ah, so I was hoping it worked differently.

Let's say I have parent group Program A/B 200 which is marked as private unlisted. Under this parent, are 2 children groups called A200 and B200. They are marked as public closed membership. The goal is to grant members access to the parent and then allow them to access the children as needed since they are the same people, instead of having them request access to 2 groups and the admins grant access to 2 groups.

I built this out in my community and it turns out that non-members can see the content within A200 and B200, which is not what we need. We need the content under A200 and B200 to remain private.

Thanks!

• Got it, following now! Do you know who the members will be ahead of time or are you waiting for them to request?

If you know who they are ahead of time, how I would approach this is via roles (would love to hear others ideas!).

Create a role called "A200 members" and another ole called "B200 members." You would then just add both roles to the parent private group, then the respective roles to the private sub-groups. Yes you would need to make them private if you do not want non-members to see the content.

For user management - add the necessary roles to the user. Then you are not needing to have them request anything since they are member of the appropriate role, they'll automatically be able to see the sub-group.

The part I struggle with if you do not know who the users are is how the system would know which user needs to go into which group without some form of input.

I suppose another question is if a user requests to join Program A/B 200, do they go in both of the sub-groups or are they only supposed to go into one of them? If all users that join Program A/B 200 go into both A200 and B200, then an automation should be doable. "If User joins Program A/B 200, then add to A200 and B200." If user needs to pick one of the sub-groups, then the site would need some sort of input to figure out where they go.

A lot of "typing out loud" but hopefully we can help figure out how to make this easy for you and your team!

• The membership would change over time, so it would be best to do it as needed. I don't think the program owner would be able to provide a list on a regular basis. It's kind of a "need-to-know" basis.

Your second idea around automation sounds like a logical one. They ideally should be added to both groups, so how do we do this? I need to go dig into the automation documentation!

• An Automation would need to be created for this use case specifically, which would require a bit of dev help, but our documentation around creating an Automation is here: https://community.telligent.com/community/11/w/developer-training/65564/automations and then for using an Automation is here: https://community.telligent.com/community/11/w/user-documentation/62977/how-do-i-configure-rules-to-automate-my-community

Reply Children
No Data