Public Groups under Private?

I feel like I'm just trying all the wrong searches, but simple question: If I have 2 "public" sub-groups under a "private" group, are the public groups accessible to anyone outside of the private group membership? Or are they private because of the parent?

The explanation: A group that needs some level of privacy has 2 sub-groups that share members. They don't want to have to approve membership to 2 sub-groups, and would rather administer it through just one.

Thanks!

Parents
  • Hi Jillian, great question! Yes, you can have public groups underneath a private group and they will indeed be public. For my own sanity check, I just tested on this site and all worked well. Just make sure your users can navigate to the public groups in whatever manner you choose and they'll be able to join right in or request to join to start contributing. Let us know if you need any help setting this up or have further questions. Thanks!

P.S. I'll add this specific use case to our documentation to help out future searches!

• Ah, so I was hoping it worked differently.

Let's say I have parent group Program A/B 200 which is marked as private unlisted. Under this parent, are 2 children groups called A200 and B200. They are marked as public closed membership. The goal is to grant members access to the parent and then allow them to access the children as needed since they are the same people, instead of having them request access to 2 groups and the admins grant access to 2 groups.

I built this out in my community and it turns out that non-members can see the content within A200 and B200, which is not what we need. We need the content under A200 and B200 to remain private.

Thanks!

• Ah, so I was hoping it worked differently.

Let's say I have parent group Program A/B 200 which is marked as private unlisted. Under this parent, are 2 children groups called A200 and B200. They are marked as public closed membership. The goal is to grant members access to the parent and then allow them to access the children as needed since they are the same people, instead of having them request access to 2 groups and the admins grant access to 2 groups.

I built this out in my community and it turns out that non-members can see the content within A200 and B200, which is not what we need. We need the content under A200 and B200 to remain private.

Thanks!

Children