How to block VPN

Help! We are having a nightmare with a persistent troll who is signing up and then sexually harassing members. SO far today we have blocked him 8 times and each time he is joining via a VPN. On the occasions when he managed to post we got his IP address but the audit doesn't record IP addresses for members who don't post so we don't know what IP he is using now.  All IP addresses come back to a Host called Packethub and he is based in Panama. 

We don't allow overseas registrations so have a system that blocks overseas IP address at source via fastlyheader info but he is obviously bypassing this by using a VPN

I have blocked the IP addresses and the range of IP but he is still getting in. What else can i do? Can i block packetbhub some how? I don't think i can do this via the admin interface though?

Parents
  • Do you have a content delivery network or firewall type of system in place, such as Akamai, which would allow you to "fingerprint" the users that visit your site? These types of mechanisms are what's typically used to identify patterns of users and block them before accessing your website.

Otherwise, without looking through your recently registered users list perpetually or attempting to block a whole range of IP addresses, or adding to 'word filter counts' for terms this person regularly uses, you're going to definitely struggle.

You may also, for a period of time, be forced to enable moderating all comments posted or verifying all new users.

If you're outright deleting this user's account each time, consider setting it as moderated instead to prevent new sign-ups with the same e-mail address.

• Do you have a content delivery network or firewall type of system in place, such as Akamai, which would allow you to "fingerprint" the users that visit your site? These types of mechanisms are what's typically used to identify patterns of users and block them before accessing your website.

Otherwise, without looking through your recently registered users list perpetually or attempting to block a whole range of IP addresses, or adding to 'word filter counts' for terms this person regularly uses, you're going to definitely struggle.

You may also, for a period of time, be forced to enable moderating all comments posted or verifying all new users.

If you're outright deleting this user's account each time, consider setting it as moderated instead to prevent new sign-ups with the same e-mail address.

Children
  • Thank you i guessed as much. He isn't posting on the forum so we are just monitoring the membership list and audit log for new members and we can tell by the pattern and names he chooses that its the same person so are blocking before he has chance to do anything. The first 3 times he got to DM loads of women inappropriately but we are disapproving him before he can do anything now but i don't know how long we can keep on just watching the site.  He signs up with a different email address and username each time so it's hard to do anything preventative and they are all gmail. \Hopefully if we keep blocking him he might get bored and move on. I think we may need to switch off DM if we can't stop him. Thanks anyway. I will talk to our devs about Akamai