Confidence answering forum questions

Hi everyone

Recently I surveyed colleagues who answer questions in our public forums. Now to set the scene:

• Colleagues are not obligated to answer forum questions as part of their roles, it is mainly done when they have time to browse and answer where they can
  • We changed the wording of Verified Answer to Accepted Answer to put the responsibility on the member who asked the question in terms of any actions they take based on answers provided

In the survey, I received a couple of comments that indicated some hesitation on participating in a public setting:

• 'Not willing / confident / feel enabled to speak on behalf of Arm.'
  • 'Some people may be unaware of them, or think it is not their responsibility, or they are worried about answering (publicly) correctly, or they don't want their name publicly visible'

Has anyone else encountered this with colleagues supporting their forums and has anyone taken steps to mitigate this?

Thanks

Oli

Parents
  • Hi Oli, absolutely have encountered this and to me this seems to be ongoing.. This is really about educating them/getting them familiar with the online community world and that responses don't have to be perfect but just helpful can already be enough. Every time a new person, who might be able to reply to forum posts in the community as he/she has knowledge, is onboarded in the company the community manager will have to spend time in guiding those colleagues to learn about the companies' community, when and how to reply, dedicate time to the community as part of their daily work and getting the joy of helping people.

Some people will pick it up quickly and easily, others need more time, and others might never be activated and interested to do so. Just spend time on the first two groups of people Slight smile
    What I tried for a while is having montly catch-up meetings with all product groups in our community, showing them the progress in their groups, some numbers, asked what they needed from me as the overall community manager and tried to keep them active, informed and interested. I had to do my best, so yes, absolutely get what you mean

• For the colleagues that had community interest already, they were very happy with the catch ups and felt like they could better grow their community groups and got even more active.

For the colleagues that had 'medium' interest, most of them gained some new insights which ultimately led to them steadily going back in their community groups and post/reply/keep oversight.

For the colleagues that had low or no interest, they still found it difficult spending their time and efforts into going into their group(s) being the community managers and SMEs they we're asked to be.  

• For the colleagues that had community interest already, they were very happy with the catch ups and felt like they could better grow their community groups and got even more active.

For the colleagues that had 'medium' interest, most of them gained some new insights which ultimately led to them steadily going back in their community groups and post/reply/keep oversight.

For the colleagues that had low or no interest, they still found it difficult spending their time and efforts into going into their group(s) being the community managers and SMEs they we're asked to be.  

Children
No Data