Controlled access to a forum

Hi,

We have a unique requirement for managing access to user content in a new forum.

We need to set up the forum so that only moderators and users who submitted a post can see their own contributions.

Other users would still be able to submit posts, but they wouldn't be able to see anyone else's posts.

Moderator: With full access to view, edit, and delete all forum content, regardless of who submitted it.
Submitter: With limited access to create and edit their own posts but not view other users' posts.

Is this possible using the current permission framework?

Thank you!!

Parents
  • Hi  

This is possible with the current permission framework (minus hiding other posts from other users). 

If you have a custom role for Moderators in the specific group and forum you can permission that role You can also modify thr owner/ manager role at the application level (if either the owners or managers would be the same people as the moderators). You would allow the moderator to do the following: 

• Attach Uploaded Files
    • Attach URLs
    • Bypass moderation
    • Create Discussion/ Question
    • Create Polls 
    • Create Reply
    • Delete Discussions, Questions and Replies
    • Edit Discussions, Questions, and Replies
    • If you want them to be able to manage the forum application settings - you can enable manage forum
    • Mark reply as answer (helps to ensure questions are properly updated with answered status)
    • Moderate and Review Abuse (if you want them to be moderators as well - which I would assume so) 
    • Pin/ Prioritize Discussions/ Questions (if this is something beneficial to your members and forum space)
    • Pin/ Prioritize Discussions/ Questions Forever (if this is something beneficial to your members and forum space) 
    • Rate Discussions, Questions, and Replies
    • Read Forum

The submitter - either could be in a "member" role for the group and forum and you can modify the permissions strictly at the forum level. You can also create a custom role called "submitter" and add it to the group - but that will be an additional role to maintain. YOu would allow the submitters to do the following: 

• Attach Uploaded Files (if you want submitters to be able to attach files in their questions)
    • Attach URLs (same as above - if you want users to be able to link items within their questions) 
    • Create Discussion/ Question 
    • Create Polls (If you would like users to beable to insert polls in their questions) 
    • Read Forum

If you would like the submitters to also be able to comment and rate questions (like questions, vote up on replies) as well as replies - I would recommend enabling: 

• Create Reply
    • Rate Discussions, Questions, and Replies 

The best practice for something such as this is to test either in a STAGE site where you can create custom roles - add real/ mock users into the role and impeorsonate them to ensure the expirience is working as expected. 

Something to note, is that Verint permissions are additive - meaning if a user is in role A as well as role B. And role A has permissions to do 5 things, Role B has permission to do the same 5 things as role A with 3 additional permissions - the user would have all 8 permissions. If you noticed the permissions are a bit wonky even though you have everything set up for you moderators and submitters - you may need to check under the site roles area within the permissions tab (as the site roles with allowed permissions to the groups may need ot be updated) 

I was not sure if you were referring to the forum application level (which is what I described above) - but if you are referring to inidivual forum threads - there is not permissions OOTB to support that structure. BUT THERE IS NOT A WAY TO HIDE OTHER FORUM POSTS FROM OTHER USERS

• This doesn't manage the visibility at a forum thread level though, does it?

As far as my understanding goes this covers creating, editing, replying and participating, but it doesn't explicitly state that you can only read and see the forum threads you've created yourself. To go down to that level you'd have to have a forum application per user and then have the permissions on that forum application to be restricted to only one user to be able to see their threads and no one else's.

• Correct  

It would be at the application level - not at the specific forum thread level - thank you for including - my last paragraph of my reply got cut off stating it was not doable OOTB

Reply Children
No Data