Why do wiki article edits change the author?

We have a slight problem in that when someone makes an edit to a wiki article it changes the author and therefore appears that someone else actually wrote the article when all that they have done is make an edit.  Is this the desired functionality?  Is there a way to turn this off?

None of the other applications do this blogs, forums/discussions, or ideas where one can make edits and the author does not change.

Also, is there a way to suppress the user's signature when making edits so it does not appear and further indicate an erroneous author?

• Howdy  - The wiki history lists revision authors and also offers the option to view what edits were made. Articles also have a similar setup. In both cases these are usually displayed as a list showing the history of the post. Your statement leads me to believe that the latest editor is somehow being highlighted in your environment. Can you share screen shots of the issue? 

• Hi This is the article in question.  During our migration to the platform our previous admin, Kim G, became the author which is fine.  However, as you read the comments to the article the original author asked if someone could add some information to the main table in the article.  One of our knowledge partners offered to do so and once the additional information was provided he made the changes.

After he hit submit he was shown as the author even though he was only an editor of the content.  You can look at the history of the article and see the order of events.  Revision #3 in the history was my attempt to change the authorship back to the original author through impersonating him but it was decided to have it show Kim as the author since he was listed after the migration so I impersonated him and that is where the current version author appears.

I can get some screenshots if needed but I think you understand what my question is/was.  The other applications do not change the author when making edits and so I was hoping there was a way to make edits without changing authorship in wiki articles.

Lastly, the author signature is shown in the wiki articles but none of the applications and I was wondering if there was a way to disable but I realized I can edit the widget and comment out the part for the signature so that is not an issue now.

Let me know if you want any screenshots or have any other questions or answers.  :-)

•  - I believe you tried to give me a link but it was stripped from the post. If you can send me the actual URL that would be helpful. 

• THANKS!

Now, I have a better understanding of the issue. It appears that a custom widget has been added to display the "author" of the wiki page. Scrolling over the "author" on your example I can see that it states that this person edited the content where the page at the URL below shows that the "author" posted the article.

https://community.microfocus.com/welcome_to_the_community/knowledgepartners/w/knowledgepartners/38733/who-are-the-knowledge-partners 

I do understand that nobody would actually do such a check or look at the history, so the user experience is certainly confusing. Could the custom widget be modified to display the author of revision 1? 

• You're welcome.  Yeah, Kim edited that page after I tried to remove his signature and he added it back when I was trying to find a way to remove the signature.  I found the best way to do that was in commenting out the code in the widget.

While Kim shows as the 'editor' of the article the history shows he 'authored' it as his name appears next to the 1st revision.  Also, as this is customized code in the mouseover popup it shows recent items posted in the area of the original post and in this case shows that article in question but in other places it may or may not show that rather it might be something else that was recently posted.

This can be seen in the screenshot below:

I will investigate if it is possible to show the author of the original version instead of the last person to edit it.  Thanks!

• Hi Tom.  I was able to write some Velocity code for the widget to find and show the original author so no matter if the article is edited it will show the OA like the other applications.  Thanks for your help.

• Howdy Chris, This is terrific news! Congratulations...