Safety issue. unfriending someone still allows them to private message the member. Unable to prevent contact

We operate a private message by consent model whereby if someone wishes to private message someone they need to send a friend request which needs to be accepted by the other party. Only then can these two members send each other private messages. This works fine however, if a member decides they no longer wish to be contacted by this person and therefore unfriends them, the expected result is that they can no longer communicate privately and the person who has been unfriended is in effect blocked from private messaging that person from that moment on. This does not work as expected and although the first member has unfriended the second member, they can still send and receive private messages. Therefore there is no way for someone to unfriend someone and block them from private messaging them. This is not how it should work and not a safe option for a member who no longer wishes to be contacted by another member for whatever reason 

Parents
  • I think this only works Sarah if both users only allow PMs from contacts and they're no longer friends. I'd check their settings to make sure they're set correctly as if one of them allows anyone to contact them then it doesn't matter if they're friends or not. I think also, if they're already 'in conversation' so to speak then they can continue that even though they're no longer friends. 

I believe Admins can send messages to anyone regardless of their PM settings?

However, there is a bigger picture issue here in that It would be great if a member was able to 'block' another individual member (like you can do in all social media platforms these days) so that no only would you not receive messages from them but you wouldn't see any of their content across the community either.  This is really useful in cases where you're being harassed by another member or just don't want to read their content (but are reluctant to report them to the moderators as can sometimes be the case.) 

• Yes our requirement is that as an individual either you can turn off PM and not allow anyone to contact you (but that doesn't work as it still allows people to send them friend requests.) Or they can allow friends ONLY to PM them, but on unfriending someone they should no longer be able to PM you. This also doesn't work. I believe this is probably a bug and is a safeguarding risk

• Yes our requirement is that as an individual either you can turn off PM and not allow anyone to contact you (but that doesn't work as it still allows people to send them friend requests.) Or they can allow friends ONLY to PM them, but on unfriending someone they should no longer be able to PM you. This also doesn't work. I believe this is probably a bug and is a safeguarding risk

Children
No Data