Group Permissions - Nested Group Structure

In our community we have many Groups > Sub-Group > Sub-Sub-Group etc. 

I realize this is a complicated structure in some ways, but mostly works well for our community. We are now looking to audit our roles and permissions but this structure is causing some difficulty. 

We will be creating custom roles that will functionally be admins, but only within certain groups and not site-wide. In other words, moderators with extra privileges in some areas of our site, but they will be regular Registered Users when they leave their respective groups. 

Is it possible to add higher level permissions to a certain role within one group and then have those changes honored in al sub-groups or sub-sub-groups? From what I have tested it looks like I have to manually dig down each level and make those changes again. 

Really I am just asking for some help to see if there is an easier less time intensive way to do this, or if I am just missed some setting somewhere within the Membership section of the Admin Panel. Any guidance is appreciated!

Parents
  • Great freedom comes with great complexities.

If I read you correctly: You are creating System Roles and assign people to those system roles.
    You are not adding System Permissions to that System Role (not sure)
    Then you add the System Role to certain groups.
    Finally you add Group Permissions to that system role which are different from Member, Manager, Owner
    Then you would like sub groups to inherit those permissions.

The short answer is already given by  

Here are some additional thoughts/q's

1. The Owner role in a group has all the permissions for a group. The deviation of those permissions is then Member+ or Manager+ set.
    2. If you add system permissions to a system role, it has a very limited set of permissions but it is system-wide. An example is for instance the ability to feature content.
    3. Only use this if you have no alternative. KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. Over time, remembering why permissions were given in the first place and disentangling them may prove to be harder than implementing them in the first place.
    4. Always consider less group layers. Group ownership can also be arranged without a group tree. Consider the gazillions of groups in FB. No tree possible. They are all horizontal and it works.

Hope this helps a bit...happy new year!

• Great freedom comes with great complexities.

If I read you correctly: You are creating System Roles and assign people to those system roles.
    You are not adding System Permissions to that System Role (not sure)
    Then you add the System Role to certain groups.
    Finally you add Group Permissions to that system role which are different from Member, Manager, Owner
    Then you would like sub groups to inherit those permissions.

The short answer is already given by  

Here are some additional thoughts/q's

1. The Owner role in a group has all the permissions for a group. The deviation of those permissions is then Member+ or Manager+ set.
    2. If you add system permissions to a system role, it has a very limited set of permissions but it is system-wide. An example is for instance the ability to feature content.
    3. Only use this if you have no alternative. KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. Over time, remembering why permissions were given in the first place and disentangling them may prove to be harder than implementing them in the first place.
    4. Always consider less group layers. Group ownership can also be arranged without a group tree. Consider the gazillions of groups in FB. No tree possible. They are all horizontal and it works.

Hope this helps a bit...happy new year!

Children
No Data