How does username map to Member Page URL?

I'm scratching my head for some reason on how member username translates to the member's profile URL.

Two members for consideration:

• ThisIsMe123 --> community.base.domain/members/thisisme123
  • This-Is-Me-456 --> community.base.domain/members/this_2d00_is_2d00_me_2d00_456

The first one seems simple enough: force lowercase on all of the characters.  Got it.

The second one seems a little tougher to wrap my head around.  I think I've worked out how this happens, but someone please chime in if there's a secret sauce (function with or without the database) I might be missing.

Starting String Operation Result
This-Is-Me-456

Find any non-alphanumeric and non-period characters.

Replace them with _(HexCodeForASCIICharacter)00_

Decimal ASCII code for dash (-): 45

Hex of 45: 2D

This_2D00_Is_2D00_Me_2D00_456
This_2D00_Is_2D00_Me_2D00_456

Lowercase all characters

this_2d00_is_2d00_me_2d00_456

This seems simple enough except there are two follow-up questions:

1. What characters are "non-compliant" and need to be converted via the ASCII HEX?
  2. Is there a better way to handle this?  For the sake of this discussion, assuming whatever needs to be done needs to operate in traditional T-SQL.

Reasoning

My company is trying to automate some reporting "outside" of the platform with PowerBI, Tableau, or something else.  The specifics of the reporting platform are outside my realm of responsibility.  We're trying to find a way to pull back the username and make it "clickable" to take you to the member's page.

Additional syntax fix.
[edited by: KMSigma at 3:17 PM (GMT 0) on Tue, Mar 21 2023]
Parents Reply Children
No Data