What do you do for Real-Time Communications/Collaboration?

Our community is big and we've got a bunch of people who are interested in having a discord-like interface within the community. They want to use this as a way to level-up on their skills - like a chat channel to discuss things they are all learning - some as novices, some as advanced consumers.

Right now, I don't see a way to do this "out-of-the-box."  We'd like to avoid additional third-party integrations because that just adds troubleshooting and/or setup complexity that's better to avoid if at all possible. (Plus possible legal, privacy, GDPR, etc. issues)

The community has the idea of "friends" and "members" (of groups) and other things, but I haven't seen a way to collapse all of that into a "group-based chat."

I guess this is my ultimate question:

• Has anyone else run into this scenario? If so, what did you choose for your collaboration solution?
Parents Reply
  • We recently had the idea of making some exclusive webinars for top members (or other segmented user groups). I was thinking that this could be used with embedding a live youtube/zoom webinar on the page (using theme editor) so that all conversation still flows through the community and we can more selectively choose who can comment. I've seen you mention this Live Event Chat before  , but this reminder came at a great time. Thanks for the idea!

I'm interested in hearing more about how this works for you, I could see some similar use cases on my end too. Please keep us posted!

Children