Is there a way we can configure the same forum for multiple groups?

Hello, 

For forums, we have multiple groups based on our product technology categories. one of the products belongs to more than one technology category.

Technology category 1 (Group)

Product A 

Product B

Product C

Technology category 2 (Group)

Product B

Product D

Product E

Is there a way we can configure the forum application for multiple groups?

Thanks

Parents
  • Former Member
    +1 Former Member

The forum itself must be in one group. However, the Forum - Thread List widget can be modified to show results for more than one forum. We use this ourselves: https://community.telligent.com/p/all-questions is a custom page that has a forum thread list widget that aggregates all our different version forums into one. (Our example lists all threads for a parent group, but you can also specify specific forums to list).

• Hi Steven, For the above scenario, I am trying to query multiple forums using the API - $core_v2_forumThread.List, but it can allow only one forum id.

Is there any other way I can build the query for multiple forums?

Thank you for the help!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member in reply to cdns

You don't need custom code - you can configure the "Forum - Thread List" widget itself to include more than one forum. You will need to modify the Configuration of the widget to allow the lookup to include more than one forum by increasing the value of maxForumSelections:

<property id="selectedForumOrGroup" labelResourceName="CF_Forum_SelectGroupAndForum" dataType="Custom" template="core_v2_forumLookup" maxForumSelections="1" enableCurrentGroup="true" />

Then you can configure the widget on the page to include the forums you want:

• Thank you, Steven!

When I  change the default property from

<property id="selectedForumOrGroup" resourceName="CF_Forum_SelectGroupAndForum" dataType="custom" defaultValue="" controlType="Telligent.Evolution.Discussions.Controls.ForumSelectionControl, Telligent.Evolution.Forums" />

to

<property id="selectedForumOrGroup" resourceName="CF_Forum_SelectGroupAndForum" dataType="Custom" template="core_v2_forumLookup" maxForumSelections="2" enableCurrentGroup="true" />

the field to "select the forum" is not getting rendered on the form.

• Former Member

My apologies - I didn't confirm the version before posting. The core_v2_forumLookup template/options is a new configuration for v12. In v11, the ForumSelectionControl still has the limitation of 1 forum or group to list from. So v11, there's not a straightforward way to do what you are asking. The best option might be to put multiple "Forum Thread List" widgets on the page each configured for separate forums.

• Former Member

My apologies - I didn't confirm the version before posting. The core_v2_forumLookup template/options is a new configuration for v12. In v11, the ForumSelectionControl still has the limitation of 1 forum or group to list from. So v11, there's not a straightforward way to do what you are asking. The best option might be to put multiple "Forum Thread List" widgets on the page each configured for separate forums.

Children
No Data