Reasons a post was flagged as abusive?

Is there a way for a regular user to report WHY they are flagging a post as abusive? 

I had a community member flag a post as abusive, but I couldn't figure out why. I reached out to him directly and he confirmed he flagged it as a duplicate. Giving this user that option (versus spam, offensive, etc.) would help me as the moderator narrow down how to review this. I thought I've seen this before, but I can't find an option for it. If not, I'll create an Idea for it.

Parents
  • Anyone had any luck getting anything done? This is driving us nuts! We were receiving upwards of 10 reports a day (we used to get one every few months on our old platform!!). We have tried everything. We asked people why they were reporting posts but the only thing we concluded was that the reply and report buttons were too close together and people were accidentally pressing it so we had some work done to move the report link to the far right of the post. It has made no difference. Moderators are tearing their hair out. We discussed it again today and have we are convinced that this problem could be solved if there were a two step process, i.e click the link then complete the short message to give a reason why you are reporting something. This at least gives people time to decide that they didn't mean to report it in the first place.  I posted on an idea thread a year ago and the problem is just getting worse. We never had this problem on our old platform which had the two step process, so it is very obvious  that this is just not good design.

•   One possible area to check is the email notifications. If you look at an email from this site, the link is easily accessible, but also somewhat downplayed:

For my site, we have it displayed like this: 

Does the link happen to be very prominent on your notifications? 

Alternatively, you said

accidentally pressing it so we had some work done to move the report link to the far right of the post.

On the actual widgets, you could rearrange the order of the options. Without looking deeper, and depending on your comfort level with changes like this, it looks like this can be rearranged in Widget Studio on Forum - Thread / content-thread-start.vm from around lines 217-295 (there might be more places that need changes, that was just a quick glance). You can also change the text for that button in the Language Resources on that same widget if that possibly helps. 

•   One possible area to check is the email notifications. If you look at an email from this site, the link is easily accessible, but also somewhat downplayed:

For my site, we have it displayed like this: 

Does the link happen to be very prominent on your notifications? 

Alternatively, you said

accidentally pressing it so we had some work done to move the report link to the far right of the post.

On the actual widgets, you could rearrange the order of the options. Without looking deeper, and depending on your comfort level with changes like this, it looks like this can be rearranged in Widget Studio on Forum - Thread / content-thread-start.vm from around lines 217-295 (there might be more places that need changes, that was just a quick glance). You can also change the text for that button in the Language Resources on that same widget if that possibly helps. 

Children
No Data