Manager role ineffective in private, unlisted group

Former Member
Former Member

We are building a new group. It is currently a private, unlisted group on our production site. Only a few employees have access to it as we build it.

I need those employees to start seeding content, so I confirmed the permissions for the Group Manager role, and then added them to it. However, as Managers, they were no longer able to access the group at all. When they went to the URL, they got a "Page Not Found" error.

So, I tried adding them to the Group Owner role instead, and that worked. As Group Owners, they are now able to access the group (and do everything else that Group Owners should be able to do). Since I don't want them to have Owner-level access, I stripped the Owner role down to look like the Manager role.

This is fine as a workaround, but I'm not thrilled with it because we now essentially lack a Group Owner role. (In other words, our Group Owner role has been reduced to Group Manager permissions.) My questions:

1. Why did this happen, and why did my workaround work? Why did the Manager role not work in the first place?

2. How do I get a more sustainable solution? My guess is that this has something to do with the private unlisted status, and as soon as I make the group a Private Listed group (which is what we'll do when we go live), the problem will disappear. Am I right, and if so, why?

Parents Reply Children
No Data