Setting up a chat feed using Activity Story Stream or Comment List

Former Member
Former Member

I'm trying to set up a private unlisted group for group of employees. I want this group to have a sort of chat-feed-like experience, where you can post quickly ("Hey, can someone grab that question, please?") and other members would automatically get notifications. In a nutshell, I'm trying to create the feel of a Microsoft Teams chat, but in a community group.

Two ways I have learned I can create this chat feed.

A. Turn on the ability to message other group members in Forum options. Then add Quick Post widget to the group page. Then add Activity Story Stream widget to the group page. Then filter the Activity Story Stream widget so that it shows status messages only.

B. Install a Comment List widget on the group page.

Question 1: In both cases, it doesn't look like group members automatically get notifications about activity. Is there a way to fix that in either A or B, or both?

Question 2: How much am I asking for trouble by doing this? I know I'm using these widgets in ways that they might not have been intended for. Am I digging a hole for myself by setting this up?

I can always go back to Teams...I was just trying to consolidate (and admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of Teams...)

• Question 1: You are correct, neither of these activities would generate an email. For your use case I would be concerned that members might unsubscribe anyway due to a high volume of email. 

Question 2: Since you don't intend to customize the widgets it shouldn't cause problems with the site in the future. 

• With automation, emails could be generated based on activity stream activity, but I'd still recommend against this. While the stream, comments, and forum threads all update live in the web UI, they are still missing a lot of functionality that would make them friendly for use as general purpose chat, including issues around permissions, history, context, privacy, and just general usability of the UI for a more messages-like experience.

You've probably already tried it, but the private messages feature in Community is already more chat-like, but with the limitation that it's about chatting directly between multiple members - not just anyone in a given group.

It's almost surely out of scope, but just to give mention - the platform itself has extensibility points that could enable it to support a Teams-like Group-scoped chat application through use of   Sockets and Presence . 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member in reply to Michael Monteleone

Thanks, this is helpful. I'll probably use Teams for now for this purpose, but good to know that there is some potential for this here.