Report abuse, hiding content, and no appeal process

Can someone help me with the proper configuration to accomplish the following?  

• enable 1 abuse report to hide the content
    • Is this just Definitely Abusive Threshold =1?
  • put the content in a moderation queue only a moderator can see and approve/deny
    • Is this also set from Definitely Abusive Threshold =1?
  • not allow the appeal process but let a user know their content is currently being moderated 
    • I see the appeal time window but no disable option and I don't want the author to get an email, notification, or anything else that implies they can appeal.
  • not be automatically deleted/expunged, instead it will stay in moderation indefinitely until a moderator takes action on it
    • Do I just set the Moderate and Expunge Time Windows to be a really high number?

If content is denied by a moderator is it deleted just from the view of other members?  As long as the denied content is viewable to admins and moderators in the moderation queue when viewing Moderation Queue >  In Process tab > status drop down box set to Denied that will suffice.  When I read in the documentation that it is deleted that worried me there isn't anything to reference for historical records.

Thanks,
Matt

Parents
    • put the content in a moderation queue only a moderator can see and approve/deny
      • Is this also set from Definitely Abusive Threshold =1?
    • not allow the appeal process but let a user know their content is currently being moderated 
      • I see the appeal time window but no disable option and I don't want the author to get an email, notification, or anything else that implies they can appeal.

This part is going to require some automation. The abuse workflow does not support (via configuration) making abusive content immediately actionable by moderators -- an appeal is required.

You could automate the creation of the appeal (via an Automation or Plugin) and adjusting the notification messages related to content entering the abuse workflow (via Administration > Notifications) to achieve this.

If content is denied by a moderator is it deleted just from the view of other members?

When identified as definitely abusive, the content is generally hidden from the Community (and only viewable in the moderation queue). When denied, the content is flagged for expungement. When the expungement date arrives, it is deleted.

The general workflow is Reported (awaiting definitely abusive status, no change to the UI, shown in 'Possibly Abusive' tab of the Moderation Queue) -> Definitely Abusive (hidden from the UI but moderators are not notified yet, content will show in 'Awaiting Appeal' list in the Moderation Queue) -> Appealed (moderators notified, will show in 'Pending Review' tab of Moderation) -> Denied (Flagged for expungement) -> Expunged (Deleted).

• Hi Ben.  Thanks for the guidance.  The Administration > Notifications part seems straightforward enough to change the messaging, but I would need some help on the automation rule.  I assume to create an appeal I would need to match the API event AbuseReport.AfterCreate.  Unfortunately, I wasn't sure where to go from there to trigger the appeal creation.  Would I need to know how to code something in the Configuration or Implementation section of the automation rule for this to work or is there an easier way?  If you can point me to an example somewhere that would be a good reference for something like this, I can give it a try.  

When denied, the content is flagged for expungement. When the expungement date arrives, it is deleted.

Upon the expungement date when the content is deleted do all the details (author, body of their content, reported group, etc.) disappear from the Moderation Queue > In Process tab filtered on Denied?  If so, is there a better way to relocate a thread or reply to a private unlisted group only admins can see without first approving it and then moving/branching? I'm trying to figure out how something in moderation we want to quarantine can still be viewable to a subset of admins for a historical record (no expunge/deleting) without allowing the rest of the community to see it in posts, feeds, emails, or notifications before we could relocate it.

• but I would need some help on the automation rule

Yes, this would need to be an automation rule, a custom code-based business rule implemented within Automation Studio (or a compiled plugin). You'd be automating the creation of an 'author response' when an abuse appeal is created to skip the appeal process and get the abusive content to the moderators immediately. As I mentioned, this is not how the abuse workflow was designed, so it does require custom code.

The implementation of this rule would make use of  AbusiveContent In-Process API Service and  AbuseAppeals In-Process API Service . This will require development work (a full implementation of this is beyond the scope of what we can provide here for support). 

Upon the expungement date when the content is deleted do all the details (author, body of their content, reported group, etc.) disappear from the Moderation Queue > In Process tab filtered on Denied? 

Yes. Expungement is complete removal. This is why there is a period of time after denial and before expungement--this is the time to correct errors and change decisions. After expungement, the entire history of the content is removed.

If so, is there a better way to relocate a thread or reply to a private unlisted group only admins can see without first approving it and then moving/branching?

If the purpose is to keep the content for a period of time to allow review/restoration, that is the expungement window. If the purpose is for long-term archival (never removing completely), I would recommend an off-Community archive potentially saving details of the content on expungement (  AbusiveContent In-Process API Service 's OnExpunge event). 

Note, too, that in Community 12, there is full audit logging so details about the content's creation, abuse workflow changes, and deletion/expungement would be included in the audit log. The audit log keeps searchable records for a period of time and exports the data to log files for older records.

• but I would need some help on the automation rule

Yes, this would need to be an automation rule, a custom code-based business rule implemented within Automation Studio (or a compiled plugin). You'd be automating the creation of an 'author response' when an abuse appeal is created to skip the appeal process and get the abusive content to the moderators immediately. As I mentioned, this is not how the abuse workflow was designed, so it does require custom code.

The implementation of this rule would make use of  AbusiveContent In-Process API Service and  AbuseAppeals In-Process API Service . This will require development work (a full implementation of this is beyond the scope of what we can provide here for support). 

Upon the expungement date when the content is deleted do all the details (author, body of their content, reported group, etc.) disappear from the Moderation Queue > In Process tab filtered on Denied? 

Yes. Expungement is complete removal. This is why there is a period of time after denial and before expungement--this is the time to correct errors and change decisions. After expungement, the entire history of the content is removed.

If so, is there a better way to relocate a thread or reply to a private unlisted group only admins can see without first approving it and then moving/branching?

If the purpose is to keep the content for a period of time to allow review/restoration, that is the expungement window. If the purpose is for long-term archival (never removing completely), I would recommend an off-Community archive potentially saving details of the content on expungement (  AbusiveContent In-Process API Service 's OnExpunge event). 

Note, too, that in Community 12, there is full audit logging so details about the content's creation, abuse workflow changes, and deletion/expungement would be included in the audit log. The audit log keeps searchable records for a period of time and exports the data to log files for older records.

Children
No Data