Seen and Reported issues of users not being able to paste graphics into a posting on a Forum.

I have seen & heard of some instances when people are trying to post something to the forums by pasting a graphic that it will not get pasted into the message.

As I was doing some test posts I have seen some instances where if you get one graphic to paste and you want to add a second graphic that it doesn’t take.

Is there a setting for this issue or is it a known issue?

Parents
  • We've had something similar - complaints from users that, in recent months, they have lost the ability to upload PNGs and JPGs, although they can still upload GIFs. This has rather killed an active photography thread, for example. We definitely allow all these types, and have not knowingly made any changes since it was all working as expected.

On investigation, it appears that uploading via a file-selector dialogue works, but pasting no longer does. We have a not-very-generous 1MB limit on file sizes, but the uploader does a resize anyway, when I upload as above, so it doesn't seem relevant; also, I tested and found the same behaviour with smaller images. And I was using an admin account, which I understand can override the limits. I've checked the allowed types at application and system level.

We're using a pretty vanilla 11.1.2.11425 with styles applied (obviously) but little customisation.

I've seen references to Verint being subject to whether the browser pastes image data or locations and so on, so I can't even figure out whether the unexpected change has happened in the system or outside it, but all the users in the thread started complaining at the same time, which is improbable on varying browsers.

• complaints from users that, in recent months, they have lost the ability to upload PNGs and JPGs, although they can still upload GIFs

What is the behavior with the loss of ability to upload PNGs and JPGs? What steps do affected users take? Are all users affected?

We have a not-very-generous 1MB limit on file sizes, but the uploader does a resize anyway, when I upload as above, so it doesn't seem relevant

Although images are resized for rendering, the original file is stored and it size must be within the configured size limit. For affected users (regarding loss of PNG/JPG upload), what were the original file sizes involved?

• I've just done a bit of a re-test using a non-admin account. I'm seeing things that I did not see before. I'm getting an orange warning:

But that doesn't match with any setting I can find. We're always allowing at least the file types mentioned and usually some others, for example in moderation - files and in applications - forums - attachments.

Our users are external, so it's not always easy to get details from them, but I should be able to test myself anyway.

And the mystery remains that this is users for whom it was working, and suddenly stopped, in a time when we weren't making changes that we can identify.

• I recently worked with a client who was experiencing something similar. It turned out that the settings for files types within blogs was limiting the uploads. I'd be happy to jump on a call if you wish. 

• First place we checked was Pencil > Administration > Moderation > Files. That was fine but Pencil > Administration > Applications > Blogs> File Storage Settings was limiting what could be added to blogs. There are similar file settings for other applications and at the group level.  

• Thank you. We don't use blogs (your client may not have done either!), but I've just checked. There's a large, default list of allowed file extensions in Blogs - File storage settings, and it definitely includes all those mentioned (i.e. JPG, PNG, GIF).

• To confirm, you've checked Pencil > Administration > Moderation > Files? I would next check Pencil > Administration > Applications > [The Application where the issue is happening] > [File Settings]. Next I would check the Settings at the Group where this is happening. 

• Thanks. Yes, I've checked overall administration. That allows a massive list of file types (the default, I suspect), but we're only using forums at present, so I've not worried. Obviously the relevant image types are included.

I cut down applications - forums to the attachment extensions gif, jpeg, jpg, png, svg some time ago, but again that should still allow the ones we are talking about.

I don't see any relevant settings at group level - unless I've missed something. Bit of a wheels within wheels effect with all these levels - I can see why they are needed, but would be nice to link them a bit so that you could see the net effect!

I've now heard from support, who are also looking at this.

• Pleased that you have support assisting. I'll check in on that case as I'm curious to know the cause. Related to this you should check out this recent post from our Product Development Team discussing potential changes to this functionality. Happy Monday! 

• Ah - just hovered over your name and realised that you're Verint staff Relaxed Thanks - I've commented.

• Thanks for your comments! I've made an attempt to ensure our current documentation, v11 and v12, includes references to all the file settings options whenever only one option was being discussed. 

Reply Children
No Data