Custom Widget - $core_v2_widget.ExecuteFile () To Try And Show PrivateEmail field

I'm running into difficulty trying to get a Custom Widget to pull data from $core_v2_user.Get () field PrivateEmail.

The custom widget is shown on the User Profile screen and it's set to only display to the accessing user if they are member of a certain Group ID - this part all works OK.

On the widget I am trying to display the following fields which you can only see through the Administration screen:

• Username
  • PrivateEmail
  • LastVisitedDate

When I use my own ID (is part of Administrators role), I am seeing all three fields no issue.

When I use a normal user (how should see custom widget based on Group ID), they are seeing Username and LastVistedDate but not PrivateEmail - the only time they see a value in the PrivateEmail is if they are looking at their own profile.

To try and get around this I have thought of using $core_v2_widget.ExecuteFile ()  as you have the options to run RunAsServiceUser = $runAsServiceUserArg or RunAsUserName = $runAsUserNameArg. My thought was to use this and execute my .vm file that has a $core_v2_user.Get () by username as either the service account or my own account, both of which I would assume would see PrivateEmail for all users with no issues.

I have tried both of these and neither are working, as soon I as introduce either RunAsServiceUser or RunAsUserName the PrivateEmail is not found.

Is this possible?

This does not work:

#set($runAsServiceUserArg = true)
$core_v2_widget.ExecuteFile('GetUserAsService.vm', "%{ RunAsServiceUser = $runAsServiceUserArg }"))

This does work - I get data but non admin users cannot see PrivateEmail data:

$core_v2_widget.ExecuteFile('GetUserAsService.vm')

My VM simply contains this:

#set($myResponse = $core_v2_user.Get("%{ Username = $usernameArg }"))

#set($myApiPrivateEmail = $myResponse.PrivateEmail)
#set($myApiUserName = $myResponse.username)
#set($myApiLastVisited = $myResponse.LastVisitedDate)

Then the widget is displaying:

<li class="field-item">
<br />
<span class="field-item-name">$core_v2_language.GetResource("Admin_SSO_Username_Name")</span>
<span class="field-item-description">$myApiUserName</span>
<br />
<li class="field-item">
<span class="field-item-name">$core_v2_language.GetResource("Admin_Email_Address_Name")</span>
<span class="field-item-description">$myApiPrivateEmail</span>
<br />
</li>
<li class="field-item">
<span class="field-item-name">$core_v2_language.GetResource("Admin_Last_Visited_Name")</span>
<span class="field-item-description">$core_v2_language.FormatDate($myApiLastVisited)</span>
<br />
</li>

Just adding in more content.
[edited by: Lee.Taphouse at 12:15 PM (GMT 0) on Wed, Nov 25 2020]
  • This should work but you need to render the fields within the "GetUserAsService.vm" file -- the contextual values ($myResponse, $myApiPrivateEmail, etc) are not preserved (the changes made in GetUserAsService.vm will not affect the calling script) when moving between contexts with differing execution options (running as the service user vs. running as the accessing user). 

See https://community.telligent.com/community/11/w/developer-training/67203/embedded-script-interoperability#Changing_Execution_Options for some additional information about execution options and context. 

• - THANKYOU!!  Rending the fields in the VM has worked, so making the call here:

#if (($roleResponse) || ($memberResponse))

#if ($readOnly)
    $core_v2_widget.ExecuteFile('GetUserAsService.vm', "%{ RunAsServiceUser = $runAsServiceUserArg }"))

#else
    ## In Edit mode, do not show.
    #end
    #else

In the VM I have the fields:

#set($myResponse = $core_v2_user.Get("%{ Username = $usernameArg }"))

#set($myApiPrivateEmail = $myResponse.PrivateEmail)
    #set($myApiUserName = $myResponse.username)
    #set($myApiLastVisited = $myResponse.LastVisitedDate)

<fieldset>
    <span class="field-item-description">$core_v2_language.GetResource("Amin_Only_Info_Description")</span>
    <ul class="field-list">
    <li class="field-item">
    <br />
    <span class="field-item-name">$core_v2_language.GetResource("Admin_SSO_Username_Name")</span>
    <span class="field-item-description">$myApiUserName</span>
    <br />
    </li>

Now it is working I will clean it up Wink