Advanced Search results total count excludes comments - 11.1.1.10427

I can duplicate this on community.telligent.com as well

• This is due to the fact that comments index themselves in the category of 'comment' and the type of application they are a comment on. This means that the actual number of results is indeed 158 and those two comments show up under the 'Comments' facet and on of the other ones .. probably blog comments. Comments are double dipping when it comes to this facet. This behavior is no longer desired and will be changing. You can change this yourself by writing code or wait for the change.

To change it yourself you can subscribe to the 'BeforeBulkIndex' event and find documents where the document.ContentTypeId = Apis.Get<Telligent.Evolution.Extensibility.Api.Version1.IComments>().CommentTypeId and remove any IndexFields where the name is 'category' and the value is not 'comment'.

This change will happen under

TE-14606: Comments should not be associated to their owning content type's search category

Completed for 12.0.0

• I'm sorry but I don't think I was clear in my original post.  There is disconnect between the quick popup search which includes the comments in the total and the advance search results which does not.

• Ah, I see  now. The widget is adding the values from the facet counts vs reading the count on the search results. I'd have to review further on the implementation details but I believe this is an optimization to allow the "All" count to reflect newer content results (i.e. new content added) without having to reissue the all query when selecting a category. Removing comments from being in both categories (issue in my original reply) would make this moot.

• Confirmed. This is an optimization to leverage the original counts and update with any filtered results counts. I believe this this the right balanced implementation for efficiency for a community. This will result in more accurate numbers in cases of content updates since the searches are callback vs full page post back while reducing additional overhead of getting update "All" counts. 

In both cases the comment being in both categories is the underlying issue:

Case #1 (SERP page) The total count is accurate but adding the facets dont add the total since comments are being represents in multiple category facet counts (ex. comment and blog).

Case #2 - The eyeball accuracy looks right but its actually counting comments twice. In the case of a smaller result set it could show a total of 5 but show 3 if two of those are blog comments. 

I should also say in both cases all of the results are there; i.e. nothing is lost.

• Better explanation on Case#2: The case is more you see counts like Blog(5) Comments(3) so that looks like a total of 8 results but when clicking through to Blogs you see the same comments you see when clicking through to Comments results. 

• Verint | Telligent Community
    +1 Verint | Telligent Community
    TE-14606: Comments should not be associated to their owning content type's search category has been completed for 12.0.0