List of All Group Owners?

Before I go building some crazy automation, is there any way to get a list of all the members who have Group Owner rights across the entirety of my community? Better yet, is there a way to give them all a Group Owner role? Trying to make some very logical changes to permissions and invite all my group owners into a private group. I'm feeling baffled.

Thanks!

Parents
  • Hi . Aside from using the API, there isn’t currently a way to retrieve all users who are group owners.

However, an automation is a great fit for this problem. I’ve attached an automation type called “Add or remove members from role based on membership type” which can ensure users who are members of a group with a pre-configured membership type are also assigned to a pre-configured role.

So, given you create a role called “All Group Owners and you assign that role as members to a private group, then you can configure an instance of this automation type to ensure group members who have the membership type “Group Owner” are also automatically added to the “All Group Owners” role, which would grant them access to the private group.

When enabled, the automation will immedidately affect any new or updated group memberships. For pre-existing memberships, it will also run by itself every day at 2:00 AM, checking every owner of every group to ensure membership in the configured role.

To install, first install the attached automation type.

Download and unzip the attached zip

Administration > Automations > Import > (wait for it to upload) > Select the new Automation > Import

Then configure an automation of the newly installed type:

Administration > Automations > Add

Provide a name, description, enablement, and selection the automation type “Add or remove members from role based on membership type”. Also select the membership type and the role you want to assign. This role must already exist, it won’t be created. Save, and it should just work for new members. For analysis, when it runs, it will also log an event message identifying that it added or removed a user from the role.

AddOrRemoveMembersFromRoleBasedOnMembershipType-Automation.zip

Hope this helps!

• This looks great. I started writing the automation for this but was finding myself stumped on a few pieces. Looking at the script you provided makes me feel better - this was not an easy one! I just implemented it and will report back after it runs tomorrow morning. THANK YOU!!

• Yeah, the daily run for existing members is what complicated it. Handling the membership change events alone would have been much shorter and more straightforward. Let me know how it goes!

• Morning! So I set it up yesterday afternoon and checked it this morning. It worked, but it did something a little bit differently than expected. I have 2 roles that have the words "Group Owner" in the name - Elevated Group Owner and Group Owner. The automation put everyone in Elevated Group Owner since it was first alphabetically. Not sure if that was intentionally, but figured I'd let you know.

Reply Children