Table of Contents
Zimbra Community has a ratings service that allows users to rate others' content using five star ratings. Ratings are supported for community-internal activity content and third-party content. The service is exposed to third-party applications via the current release's platform APIs.
Zimbra Community sends you a notification when someone rates your content. You can view such notifications in your Notification Queue or in Live Alerts.
- The ratings service allows you to rate third-party content.
- The service provides engagement with community-internal content and third-party content via the REST APIs and widget APIs.
- The rating service is part of the core functionality.
It's helpful as a community member to know which content is considered the best, or has the most Content Quality, as voted by the community. Users can participate in this determination by rating content on a five-star scale. The rating service will incorporate this information into scores that determine Content Quality and Author Quality - building an author's reputation and the content's credibility.
Ratings differ from liking in that:
- Ratings provide an objective measure of content quality (for example, whether or not it is helpful).
- Liking is a more relationship-oriented feature. It tells you whether or not others like content as well as who liked it.
There is a simple five-star (or other icon) system scale for community members to assess content quality.
Using APIs, you can require a comment for content ratings in order to form a review. You can then view other members' reviews, and those reviews link back to a reviewer's profile.
Ratings contribute to the Author Quality score, which helps determine whether the author is present in the Group - Members List ("Top Quality Authors") widget on the group home page, and the Users - Top Quality Author Groups widget ("Groups in which <username> is a top quality author") widget on the user profile.
Note that ratings are only recalculated when a new rating is added.
- Ratings encourage participation throughout a community and groups by providing interaction with Zimbra-generated or third-party content. In addition to providing feedback, community members can compare their thoughts with others' feedback as they apply to the content.
- When members mouse over the star scale, the average rating is displayed (such as "Average rating: 3.2 out of 7 ratings").
- A user can change their rating by clicking on the stars again.
To learn about developing with the rating service, please see this article.