On the Profile Settings tab, the admin configures basic profile options - such as signatures, gender, authentication, etc. It's necessary to configure these options before setting up custom profile fields or letting a user fill in his profile.
To configure the available profile options:
- Navigate to Control Panel > System Administration > Membership Administration > Configuration > Account Settings > Profile Settings.
- Select the desired membership profile options:
- Allow signatures - Specifies whether users can edit a message that appears at the bottom of their posts.
- Display signatures on posts - Determines whether users' signatures are displayed when they post.
- Signature maximum length - Specifies the maximum number of characters allowed in a user's signature.
- Allow gender - If this option is enabled, users have the option of specifying their gender (but it's optional).
- Enable display names - Enabling this option lets users set their own (not necessarily unique) display name to be shown with their posts and other content. If a user changes his display name after already posting content, the old display name won't be updated unless that content is also updated.
- Status & reply message maximum length - The maximum number of characters allowed in replies and status messages, defaulting to 512.
- Click Save to apply the settings.
- Registration experience - Allows you to set registration experience features such as new user logins, banned users logins, user name minimum and maximum lengths.
- Avatars - Allow you to set user avatar properties, such as dimensions and remote avatar availability.
- New user experience - Allows you to specify new user contact properties such as the welcome message, new user moderation level, and a default list of new user friends.
- Friendship settings - Allow you to specify friendship properties such as default request text sent with friendship requests.