By default, community members can customize their dashboards, group owners can customize group or group application pages, and blog authors can customize their blog pages (as long as the group owner doesn't overwrite them). However, an administrator can restrict inclusion or removal of widgets and their content by locking widgets in the header, footer, and body of a default page.
Locking is only supported on default pages (that is, all instances of a page, such as all blog pages). Locking widgets on a contextual page (for example, for one blog only) means that it affects only that page. It doesn't affect any other pages or keep you from editing the single blog page in any way. In this case, locking and saving contextually for only one blog would have no effect.
Locked or unlocked widgets
- Locking a widget only mandates that it be included on the page. It does not have to be kept in the same position on the layout.
- Widgets that contain an "unlocked" icon on their widget banner can be configured.
- Widgets that contain a "locked" icon on their widget banner can't be configured.
- If a widget doesn't have a lock icon on its menu bar, it is inherited and must be kept on the page.
- By default, added site widgets are unlocked.
- If you have locked widgets in the header from the site home page, they will appear greyed out on the group page header. Site header widgets that haven't been locked won't appear on the group home page.
- To lock a widget, you have the Site - Edit Theme permission.
How to lock a widget
To lock a widget:
- Enter Edit Page mode.
- Locate the desired widget on the page or add the widget. The widget banner will display its lock and other options.
- When you click the unlocked icon, it will change to locked (i.e., closed), and vice versa.
How to unlock a widget
To unlock a widget, you must navigate to where it was locked. For example, if a widget is greyed out on a group home page, it was probably locked at the site home page level. Navigate to that page, enter Edit Page mode, and click the widget's lock icon.