Telligent Community Server supports the following notifications:
- Email - The system will generate an email to notify the user about activities he's requested notifications for - such as about new blog posts in a blog he/she is subscribed to. Checking the Email check box in the Settings > Notifications tab will enable the email notification.
- Live Alert - Live alerts are small slide-out notifications that alert you to activity you've requested notifications about. In the above example, checking the Live Alert check box in the Settings > Notifications tab will enable the slide-out notification that someone has posted a new blog post in a blog you're subscribed to. The slide-out notification contains live links to the activity.
Activity from subscriptions - These notifications include actions other members take in relation to the blogs, forum threads, galleries, or wikis you're subscribed to, including:
- Blog posts in blogs to which you are subscribed
- Comments on blog posts to which you are subscribed
- Replies to a thread I'm subscribed to
- Creates threads in forums to which you are subscribed
- Comments on ideas to which you are subscribed
- Status changes on ideas to which you are subscribed
- Comments on media files to which you are subscribed
- New media in galleries of which you are an owner
- Comments on wiki pages to which you are subscribed
- Updates a wiki page to which you are subscribed
Activity from your network - These notifications include actions other members take in relation to you (the member), for example following or mentioning, including:
- Follows me
- Approves my friendship request
- Requests my friendship
- New group invitation
- New group memberships not added by you
- Membership request in groups to which you are an owner
- Mentions my groups
- Mentions me
- Sends me a private message or replies to my private message
Activity related to content you write - These notifications include actions other members take in relation to your content, for example replying to your forum question/discussion or liking your content. The notifications include:
- Achievements awarded to you
- Comments on content that I comment on
- Comments on content I write
- Replies you created awaiting moderation
- Threads you created awaiting moderation
- Replies to a question or discussion I have replied to or suggested an answer to
- Suggests an answer to my question
- Verifies a reply as an answer to my question
- Forums requiring moderation
- Vote updates on ideas you create
- Likes content I write
- Rates content I write
Basic notification structure
The Community Server notification system utilizes notification distribution types (delivery methods); administrators can choose which delivery method(s) are used on a site by enabling or disabling specific notification plugins in the Manage Plugins window.
In turn, each plugin is responsible for delivering specific user notifications. Enabling a particular notification plugin makes its specific notifications available for the member on his/her Settings > Notifications tab. Disabling a particular notification plugin makes its specific notifications unavailable to the member.
Notification distribution types
Notification distribution types are delivery methods enacted by plugins (extensions of IPlugin). They provide the basis of the notification delivery system.
Specific plugins extend the notification distribution types to actual notifications delivered to the member. If a plugin is enabled, the notification is enabled for members. If it is disabled (i.e., not enabled), the notification is unavailable.
The enabled plugins determine which notifications the member sees on his/her Settings > Notifications tab. On that tab, each notification has a check box the user can select or deselect, giving him/her the ability to receive or not receive that notification.
To learn more about notifications that users can receive, please see Receiving community notifications.