User avatars let community members personalize their own experience and identify each other. Avatars are displayed on each user's profile, on status messages in the activity stream, on comments, and in any content that shows author or contributor (including posts, comments, replies, widgets, etc.).
In Telligent Community Server, an avatar can be:
- A user's own photo or graphic
- A remotely uploaded photo or graphic
- One of the default avatars included in Community Server
- An avatar provided by an administrator
By default avatars are enabled, and community members are allowed to choose among selections. Any user who doesn't choose or upload an avatar is represented by the default avatar.
To change avatar settings:
- Mouse over Management.
- Click Administration.
- Navigate to Membership > Membership options > Avatar settings.
- Fill in or select the following settings:
- Avatar dimensions fields - Default maximum size is 300 x 300 px. You can change this maximum size. Note that any uploaded avatars are resized if they exceed the configured dimensions. We recommend keeping the dimensions at 80x80 for optimal display.
- Enable uploaded avatars options - This setting lets users upload their own images to use as avatars.
- Enable remote avatars options - This setting enables images located at another website to be used as community avatars.
- Enable selectable avatars options - Allows users to choose an avatar from the presented choices, which you can link to from Web\filestorage\CommunityServer.Components.SelectableAvatars.
- To disable avatars so that none are visible in your community, set to No.
- To change the default avatar shown for any users who haven't uploaded or selected an avatar:
- Click the Change avatar link under Default avatar. The Change default user avatar panel appears.
- Navigate to the desired file.
- Click Use uploaded avatar.
- The Selectable avatars area shows the current options that members can choose from. To upload a different file of avatars, navigate to the file and click Upload.
- Click Save.