Change page design for multiple groups

I have loads of groups under a parent and having set them up with one design/layout/header, say I need to change all of them.

If you have a group structure of say...

• Parent 1
    • Child 1
    • Child 2
    • Child 3
    • Child ...
    • Child 30
  • Parent 2

What options do I have to go into Child 1, get it looking exactly right, and then, as simply as possible, apply the change to all the other 29 child groups?

From looking at the controls, it seems that I can either edit all individually and manually change and publish each one.  Or I could set a default and still have to touch each group and revert the section (header/body/footer) I required.  I was hoping something that means not editing all the groups. 

Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks for the hint about API but I'm not a developer so I cannot use that.  So I guess the only options is going round all groups individually and hoping I don't need to change something again in the future?

• Are the pages all exactly the same? Is there a reason this is a group-level page? Perhaps it'd be helpful to better understand the issue and potentially suggest a feature improvement.

Applying a page to other groups would mean that all pages would be the same (with respect to contextual value selection) and could result in odd behavior if any widget is configured to reference local group resources (as those resources would still reference the original group when applied to other groups).

While there are situations where a layout is applicable, there are also potential pitfalls concerning specific widget configuration that cause unexpected results.