Table of Contents
The Telligent Community Free Edition leads you through site setup and user orientation (with the Starter Kit and Tour Tips). This edition is designed as a structured learning environment that also furnishes key learning experiences in customization and creation, enabling any domain or number of applications. The Free Edition has no time limitation on usage.
The following sections summarize Telligent Community 8.5 features. These features are also included in theTelligent Community 8.5 Free Edition.
Three tools in the Telligent Community 8.5 Free Edition make it quick and easy to set up and start using a site:
- The Starter Kit wizard guides an admin through community setup - including branding and product links, among other characteristics.
- The Tour Tips provide a self-paced tour that quickly on-ramps new users.
- Sample groups, applications, and content ("core content") create an easy environment for testing and learning the community features.
(For more information about the Starter Kit and Tour Tips, please see the "8.5 Feature Summary" article in the Telligent Community 8.5 documentation.)
In keeping with the product's emphasis on a simple, consistent interface and accessible controls, Telligent Community 8.5 has "New" menu options on each user interface home page for creating:
- Blog post
- Discussion or question
- Media gallery upload
- Wiki page
(For more information about these creation features in the UI, please see the following articles in the Telligent Community 8.5 documentation: "Create a subgroup from a group home page" about groups; "Create a group application from the home page" about applications, and procedures under the posting section of each application - for example, "Create a blog post from a home page" under the Blogs > Blog posting section for creating posts.)
The Free Edition lets prospective community members join the community directly using the "Join now" link on the Sign-in page. The community is limited to 50 members.
For information about new features in this release, such as business rules, reputation points, achievements, and a number of improvements, please see What's new with Telligent Community 8.5.
Telligent Community 8.5 provides extensibility options for authentication, rules, achievements, and content fragments. For information, please see the Developer Documentation.
(For information about this new plugin, please see the "Configure the Cookie Authentication Single Sign-On Client plugin" article in the Telligent Community 8.5 documentation.)
- Points and achievements are not enabled. The Rules system is enabled.
- Sample content is retained. The out-of-the-box configured sample content (including posts, files, comments, and forum threads) can't be deleted from the community. Third-party, custom content/applications and Ideas module "challenges" can be deleted.
- Simplified abuse system. Members can take full advantage of the abuse reporting system. However, instead of deleting posts due to reports, the Free Trial displays a message stating the content would ordinarily be hidden.
- Unrestricted language usage. To simplify the algorithms in the trial edition, the word replacement filter is inactive.
- Unfiltered messages. Again, for simplicity of the learning process, the trial version does not include spam filtering or spam-related scoring. Spam customization is unsupported.
- Core members. In this trial edition, additional members must join the community from the sign-in page. Users or new roles can't be created.
- Community size. The Telligent Community 8.5 Free Version community is limited to 50 users.
- Unrequired moderation. Using the sample content furnished out of the box, no moderation is required, and moderation is not enabled.
- Full widget customization. Admins can use the Widget Studio to perform any widget customization desired, but widget export and import are not enabled.
- Core sample applications. The out-of-the-box configured sample applications (including blogs, forums, galleries, and wikis) can't be deleted from the community. However, applications that an admin creates can be deleted.
- Core plugin configurations. To maintain the stability of the community, plugins can be enabled or disabled, but their configurations can't be changed.
- Core emails remain active. Email, in general, is allowed. Emails that are core to the site's functionality, such as a password reminder, remain active. However, other emails are not enabled.Email customization and email digest customization are not supported in this edition.
- Core theme. The shipped theme is stable, and a new theme can't be imported.
- Site configuration options. Site URL and email options are available, but other site configuration settings are not enabled.