Remote Widget Studio enables remote .net-based (ASP.Net Web Form, ASP.Net MVC, etc) applications to use Zimbra Social widgets to interact with Zimbra Social. This approach enables:
- Widget implementation re-use.
- Immediate accessibility to the Zimbra Widget and REST API in remote UI implementations.
- Easy integration of social functionality into existing .net-based web sites.
The remoting REST API is a set of endpoint extensions to Zimbra Social's REST API that, when enabled, allow remote sites to interact with Zimbra Social. This API is included in Zimbra Social 8.5, but is disabled by default. To enable it, go to Control Panel > Administration > Site Administration > Site Configuration > Manage Plugins and enable the "Remoting REST Endpoints" plugin.
For more information about customizing how existing widget extensions and REST APIs within Zimbra Social can control how they behave and are exposed by Remote Widget Studio, see Exposing APIs to Remote Widget Studio.
To ensure that custom widget extensions can be supported by Remote Widget Studio, see Supported Remote Data Types.
The connector is a .net class library that provides access to remote sites to interact with Zimbra Social via the Remoting REST API. To use the connector, remote sites must implement the abstract RemoteScriptedContentFragmentHost class defined in the connector. The implementation of this class provides the connector with:
- information about the accessing user
- the list of available widgets
- access to widget embedded files
- lists of available remote-only widget API extensions
- overrides to Zimbra Social widget API extensions
- overrides to Zimbra Social URL processing/redirects
- configuration details (Zimbra Social's URL, caching options, etc)
- REST authentication details (OAuth, REST API Key)
Requests to render widgets are made through implementations of the RemoteScriptedContentFragmentHost class.
Note: The Remote Studio Widget Connector library is available via a separate download. Please contact our support department to obtain access to this library.