Enabling potential members to authenticate and create accounts by integrating with LinkedIn can simplify the member creation/registration experience. This guide identifies the steps to enable authentication through LinkedIn.
Register a new application on LInkedIn
- Sign into LinkedIn.
- Navigate to https://www.linkedin.com/secure/developer?newapp= to set up a new LinkedIn application. If you can't reach that URL, try https://www.linkedin.com/secure/developer and then navigate to Add new application.
- Fill in the following details to create the application:
- In Company (required), enter your company name or select it from the drop-down list.
- In Application name (required), enter a name such as "LinkedIn Oauth."
- Enter a description (required).
- In Website URL (required), enter the site URL.
- In Application use (required) select the appropriate type.
- In Application Developers (optional), enter your contact information.
- Check Include yourself as a developer for this application if you wish to be listed.
- In Live Status (required), select a development stage from the drop-down list.
- In Developer Contact Email (required), enter the contact email for the application.
- In Phone, enter the contact phone number.
- In Agreement language (required, not shown in the screen capture), select the appropriate choice (such as Browser locale setting).
- Select the Agree Terms of Service check box.
- Click Add application. Once registered, LinkedIn will provide you with security details. Copy and save the API key and secret key values to another location.
- Click Done.
Configure the LinkedIn plugin
- Navigate to Administration > Authentication > External authentication > LinkedIn
- Click the Enabled check box.
- In the LinkedIn OAuth Client dialog box, paste the following settings into the appropriate text fields:
- Client ID: The API key copied from LinkedIn.
- Client Secret: The secret key copied from LinkedIn.
- Click Save
Sign into Telligent Community with LinkedIn credentials
- In the sign-in screen, click the LinkedIn logo.