Browse Forums Custom Sort Order Questions

1. Using the Forums - Browse Forums widget, I'm seeing that when I select the Custom order in Sort Order, it only shows me the first 50 forums in the query results. Is this intentionally limited and/or is there a setting/override to expand the query?

I'm looking to only enable about 15 forums, but some of the ones I want to see are at the end of the alphabet...

2. Newly added forums appear to be disabled by default when custom order is selected and while I understand the logic of not wanting to change a display that's already been configured, is there a method to enable new forums to display when created without having to go in and edit the widget every time?

I've got a Forums - Browse Forums widget that just lists every forum on the site at the home page, but there has been a request to reorder the forums list in a custom order. While custom order would seem to solve that requirement, new forums are added in sections that not everyone sees, but when they have the permission to see, it should appear in the main list too. I'd like to try to avoid giving the users who are creating new forum applications in sub groups the ability to edit the site home page. Complicating things further, we allow custom user theming on the home page and I don't want to have to revert people's customization for the widget to see new forums every time they are added.