How can I adjust the width percentage or pixel parameter for each layout?

Can someone take a minute or two to record a quick screencast on how to update the .css or .less files at a site and/or group level, illustrating where to go and how you would change/update these files?

For example... let's say that I wanted to use this layout:

Lets also assume the default setting is 75% on the left column and 25% on the right column. How could I change the right column to be 310px? What about if I wanted that right column to be 35% of the page?

Parents Reply Children
  • I did look through the layouts.less file before posting the question. I have decent html experience and rudimentary css experience, but i'm confused by the "@sidebar-width" and "@spacing" not sure what those are referencing.

I really need someone who understands this to offer some basic interpretation on the file and the descriptive naming conventions that are used. i.e. I don't know how to find, within that entire stylesheet, the layout that references the 3/4 by 1/4 layout that I'm looking to adjust.

Could someone to do a simple screen rec explaining the layout.less file and how to do customizations. This could be valuable community resources for other community members, in the future!

• LESS (http://lesscss.org/) files are similar to CSS, but allow some programmatic functions.  "@sidebar-width" and "@spacing" are variables.  When the LESS file is processed it produces CSS and replaces those variables with their defined values.

The advantage of this is a single change to a variable like @sidebar-width with be applied to all CSS classes that use the variable, rather than hunting down all instances and changing them one by one.

• Most of the variables will be defined in variables.less.
    • Our custom LESS functions are defined in mixins.less.
    • The glyph font and related icon styles are defined in icons.less.

• Ahhhh! That was the key! I was able to go into the "variables.less" file under the supplementary files, and change the @sidebar-width perfectly!

Thanks a lot Mathew!