Where is leaderboard documentation?

Hi

I am unable to find any documentation for leaderboards in Telligent 10, other than this: https://www.telligent.com/community-platform/features/leaderboards/

The two things I am trying to find out are: a) where do I scope the leaderboards to specific activities? (I want a leaderboard to be based on the number of times people in a role have replied to questions in forums, and how many times they have had an answer verified as THE answer). b) an explanation of how leaderboards are otherwise calculated. 

Oh, and another thing. I want to test the leaderboards, because they didn't work at all in 2008. But I see that by default the job is scheduled to run at 2.45am. Is that because it is a huge job requiring a lot of resource, regardless of the number of leaderboards or members it has to check? Or could I get away with setting it to 'every few minutes' just while I have only one leaderboard with 10 people in it, to see how it works?

Thanks

added leaderboard job scheduling bit
[edited by: Arlo Guthrie at 12:58 PM (GMT 0) on Sun, Dec 29 2019]
  • We are missing Leaderboard documentation, we do have it listed in our backlog, so hopefully that will be remedied soon.  

Leaderboards are entirely based on points.  They can not be scoped to different activities (you could only award points for a verified answer and nothing else, which would turn leaderboards into a top verified answer board, but that would prevent the points and leaderboards from being used for any other activities).

There are two types of leaderboards, group and site.  Group leaderboards would be scoped to only points awarded for activity in that group (creating a forum thread, answering a question, etc.).  Site leaderboards encompass all the group points awarded to a user plus any site level point activities (adding a friend).  Additionally you can scope a leaderboard by time (monthly leaders) and by users (exclude the users in an employee role, so the leaderboard only shows customers).

The Job aggregates all of the point transactions for each leaderboard, so on a test site with a small amount of data, it should not be a problem to shorten the leaderboard calculation job to every few minutes.

• Thanks , but ...

This: 

They can not be scoped to different activities

seems in direct contradiction to this:

"Leaderboards can be scoped to specific activities" (https://www.telligent.com/community-platform/features/leaderboards/)

Unless what you are saying is that leaderboards CAN be scoped to specific activities, but the scoping would apply to all leaderboards in all groups, so if you set the leaderboard to be for verified answers in one group, then it will be for verified answers in all groups, sitewide. That would strike me as a big limitation and a bit crazy, but I think I could probably work around it.

In other words, if i limit a leaderboard to a user role in a group, and in that group, their main activity will be answering questions, then although they might get points for other things, it should be reasonably accurate, especially if I weight points towards an activity they do (eg verified answers). 

Still, sorry to be a pain, but can I ask again ... given the contradiction, can I or can I not scope the leaderboards to a specific activity, and what limitations apply. And how to do I control points awarded for the leaderboards?

• Technically they could be scoped to specific activities, by awarding points for those activities, but the leaderboard can not differentiate between why the points were awarded.  If a user received 250 points for answering questions and another 250 for asking questions, and a second user received 500 for answering questions, the leaderboard would not be able to tell you which one was the better question answerer, it would just see them both as having 500 points.

In other words, if i limit a leaderboard to a user role in a group, and in that group, their main activity will be answering questions, then although they might get points for other things, it should be reasonably accurate, especially if I weight points towards an activity they do (eg verified answers). 

Yes, this is basically what you are limited to with the current implementation of leaderboards.

In 10.x, Points are awarded based on Rules.  In 11.x, Rules were replaced with Automations and points awards are defined there.  Basically, using a Rule or Automation, you would define something like when an answer to a question is verified award x points to the user who submitted the answer.  Depending on how complex a setup you wanted you could go further make the rules more specific and awards points only if the user is in a specific role, or change the amount of points for the award based on the group they were in.  That may be come very difficult to maintain over time though.