Theme Studio Questions

If these questions are covered in documentation somewhere, please point me in the right direction. (I'm still on 10.1).

In 10.2/10.3 Theme Studio:

1. Is it possible for the site banner to inherit its scope/functionality in sub-groups but still be themed differently?
  2. Can a theme include a different banner logo image for each theme?
  3. If it's not possible for a sub-group site banner to inherit from the root and be themed differently, is it possible to specify a specific group (site root) in the Site Navigation option for "Include Group Navigation" without modifying the Site-Banner widget code?

Example: Site root has light theme with banner logo image that has black text with transparency to white/grey (scrolled) background but a sub-group is dark themed so the site banner should switch to dark theme including banner logo image to one with white text and transparency to dark background. The site navigation "hamburger" menu should show the same content for both groups (site root group list with avatars and descriptions).

I'm mocking some of this up in 10.1 using CSS overrides, but the site-banner widget keeps stomping on my custom styles when I inherit and if I don't inherit, I only get the sub-group's groups in the navigation "hamburger" menu (but it looks visually correct). (Also I don't trust replacing an image on a page using CSS)

Parents
  • Is it possible for the site banner to inherit its scope/functionality in sub-groups but still be themed differently?

When a widget is locked, only it's placement can be adjusted. The configuration options that govern its style would be locked with the inherited instance of the widget. You could still apply CSS overrides in sub-groups, but you've already identified issues with that.

Can a theme include a different banner logo image for each theme?

The logo is part of the site banner widget's configuration. It is subject to the locking rules (that is, if the widget is inherited due to locking, the configuration cannot be changed in sub-themes/groups)

If it's not possible for a sub-group site banner to inherit from the root and be themed differently, is it possible to specify a specific group (site root) in the Site Navigation option for "Include Group Navigation" without modifying the Site-Banner widget code?

It appears in the 10.3 version of Site banner that group navigation is always loaded to be the sub-groups of the root of the site. So this should already be the case. Based on what you've experienced with 10.1, I'd recommend unlocking the site banner in the site theme and including it in the default group theme header (still unlocked) to allow individual groups to adjust the styling of the banner as is appropriate to the style of each group.

• Based on what you've experienced with 10.1, I'd recommend unlocking the site banner in the site theme and including it in the default group theme header (still unlocked) to allow individual groups to adjust the styling of the banner as is appropriate to the style of each group.

Is this the approach I should also take in 10.1 as a mock up or should I use this only in 10.3?

I gave it a whirl but the results weren't as I expected but maybe I don't understand how inheritance is supposed to work. I unlocked the site banner on the site theme level, added the site banner to the default group theme and then went to my customized groups and re-enabled "Inherit Headers from Parent Theme" on my customized group. The site banner disappeared entirely on that group. I manually added the Site-Banner back to the group page and customized again but I don't see any navigation (for even the sub-groups now).
    Navigating to sub-group 1 of the customized group and re-enabling "Inherit Headers from Parent Theme" again causes the site-banner to disappear. Adding it back uses the factory defaults, but thendisabling "Inherit Headers from Parent Theme" and configuring the widget to use the dark theme now appears to have site-root sub-group navigation.
    Navigating to sub-group 2 and re-enabling "Inherit Headers from Parent Theme" causes the banner to look and operate exactly as I would like (dark theme with site-root sub-group navigation) with no further interaction required on my part.

Does inheritance work like:
    Site Theming->Default Group Theming->Group Theming->Sub-Group Theming
    or
    Site Theming->Default Group Theming->Group & Sub-Group Theming

• Is this the approach I should also take in 10.1 as a mock up or should I use this only in 10.3?

Yes. Note that when adding the site banner to the default or contextual group header, you'll need to reconfigure it (it will not default to the same configuration as the one in the site theme's header). Specifically, you'll need to set the 'Site navigation' option to 'Include group navigation' -- even in the 10.1.0 release, I see that configuration implemented to list top-level sub-groups.

Does inheritance work like

Inheritance works with locked widgets only: https://community.telligent.com/community/10/w/developer-training/53186/themes#Header_Footer_Inheritance

If all groups will use the same site banner configuration (same style), you could lock the widget in the default group header, otherwise, adding the site banner to the default group header without locking will ensure it is included in *new* groups but also allow those groups to customize the banner's configuration (including its configuration-based styling options).

• Thanks for the additional info and the link. I figured there was some documentation on this I was missing.

Reply Children
No Data