Forum Subscription

It seems that in an older version of Telligent Community that users had the ability to subscribe to specific forums to receive email notifications when a post was made to a specific forum. Similar to how the Blogs have the gear icon to let users subscribe to a blog, I thought that forums had the same. I'm not seeing it in Version 10.  Is there a way for users to do this on the forum or is it located elsewhere now?

Parents Reply Children
  • Hmm, this is not quite the same as the old platform, where there was one central point where users could easily manage their subscriptions. 

Now it seems like users are subscribed to receive replies by default, and currently no obvious way to change that, which is really problematic in a situation like mine where you have a multitude of forums (so without that central place to manage your forum subscriptions, you now have to navigate all around the world to find the specific forum you want to subscribe or unsubscribe from. Am I right? Or am I missing something here?

• This view still exists. By default, it's available in your user settings. (User Avatar in top right > Settings > Subscriptions tab)

• aha, thank you. Not showing on my installation because we are using an earlier widget which did not have that functionality. So we need to get that tab added. Great help, thank you. 

• and for a bonus 10 points, is it correct to say that in this version, anyone who replies to a forum post is automatically subscribed with no option to opt out until after the event? (This is what my users are reporting)

• This is partially correct. Users who reply to threads are automatically subscribed to the thread to receive future replies, but they are not subscribed to the forum.

• Thank you ... that is a big problem, because it really annoys people when they didn't realise they are being subscribed to the thread and then 15 people reply before they have a chance to unsubscribe. Do you think it is technically possible for my developers to reinstate a subscribe/unsubscribe tick box to the reply box? ie the box I am typing in now, where 'suggest as answer' currently sits.  

• Yes, the Forum - Thread widget can be fully customized in Widget Studio as before. Older pre-10.0 versions of the widget are still fully supported in 10 and 11 as well, which expose that option.

As a quick edit to the out-of-the-box 10.x version of the widget, this two-line edit will completely disable this behavior. 

Administration > Interface > Widgets > Forum - Thread

Find the widget's ui.js file.

Change the following:

addReply: function (context, forumId, threadId, body, suggestAsAnswer, parentId) {
    	var data = {
    		ForumId: forumId,
    		ThreadId: threadId,
    		Body: body,
    		SubscribeToThread: true,
    		IsSuggestedAnswer: suggestAsAnswer
    	};
    	if (parentId) {
    		data.ParentReplyId = parentId;
    	}
    	return $.telligent.evolution.post({
    		url: $.telligent.evolution.site.getBaseUrl() + 'api.ashx/v2/forums/{ForumId}/threads/{ThreadId}/replies.json',
    		data: data
    	});
    },

To:

addReply: function (context, forumId, threadId, body, suggestAsAnswer, parentId) {
    	var data = {
    		ForumId: forumId,
    		ThreadId: threadId,
    		Body: body,
    		SubscribeToThread: false,
    		IsSuggestedAnswer: suggestAsAnswer
    	};
    	if (parentId) {
    		data.ParentReplyId = parentId;
    	}
    		url: $.telligent.evolution.site.getBaseUrl() + 'api.ashx/v2/forums/{ForumId}/threads/{ThreadId}/replies.json',
    		data: data
    	});
    },

And change the following here:

onAddReply: function (options) {
    		url: context.addReplyUrl,
    		data: prefix({
    			forumId: context.forumId,
    			threadId: context.threadId,
    			parentId: options.parentId || null,
    			body: options.body || null,
    			suggestAnswer: options.data && options.data.suggestAnswer,
    			subscribeToThread: true
    		})
    	});
    },

To:

onAddReply: function (options) {
    		url: context.addReplyUrl,
    		data: prefix({
    			forumId: context.forumId,
    			threadId: context.threadId,
    			parentId: options.parentId || null,
    			body: options.body || null,
    			suggestAnswer: options.data && options.data.suggestAnswer,
    			subscribeToThread: false
    		})
    	});
    },

Note the changes of "true" to "false" for subscribing. 

Then preview or publish the customizations. They can always be reverted.

It would also be possible to make this a widget configuration or a checkbox in the reply form itself, but that's out of the scope of this reply.