container vs. group in REST API

Hi,

I apologize is this is obviously documented somewhere. If so I had trouble finding it.

What is the difference between containers and groups?

At least in the cases I have looked at, containers seem to have the same names as groups so I don't understand the difference.

Also, there is no containers entry in the REST API documentation. It would be nice to get a list of all containers, similar to how you can get a list of all groups.

Thank you for any information.

• Containers are, for all intents and purposes, groups. In theory, a group is one *type* of container. In practice, they're the only kind which usually exists or matters. This is somewhat different than content types and application types, which are more obvious.

All three components are aspects of the content model. If you haven't already, I'd recommend reviewing the following introduction to the model.

Most information within Telligent Community and interactions with Telligent Community conform to the platform's content model, an abstract, global organization of all content and its associated containing…
    Last edited in Telligent Community 10.x > Developer Training

All three of these are defined by plugins (and so can be enabled, disabled, or extended) and have in-process and widget APIs for listing the currently enabled types. Unfortunately, there are not REST APIs for this. However, the widget API forms are still fairly easy to try out, even without creating a widget. As in the other thread, I'd recommend trying the following in the script console.

$core_v2_containerType.List()
    $core_v2_applicationType.List()
    $core_v2_contentType.List()

Hope this helps!