Can you set the Tags for an Idea using REST?

If you create an Idea manually it allows you to set the tags.

But when using REST, there is no Tags parameter.

https://community.telligent.com/community/10/w/api-documentation/61637/create-idea-rest-endpoint

Q1: Can someone confirm that this is accurate, that Create Idea doesn't allow you to set the tags?  I just wanted to double check and make sure that there isn't some undocumented parameter.

Q2: And, if not, are there any plans to add a parameter for tags?

Thanks.

Parents
  • Thanks Ben, but now I have some follow-up questions.

I assume that you can use this endpoint for all content types and not just Ideas, right?

So, in the update tags endpoint what is the TypeId param for?  The description says Categorization type, but I don't know what that means.  I know that Ideas have categories, but I am not sure if this implies that all content types have categories (which would be really cool), or if it is something else.

TypeId Guid? Categorization type Optional
    Thanks.
  • Yes, the tags API can be used for all content. The APIs for older content types (blogs, forums, etc) continue to include tags for backwards compatibility but are actually using the tags API internally.

The TypeId is for categorization and is not used by default (most of the core services have this concept). For example, if you wanted to tag content for different purposes, you could specify a TypeId for each special purpose. When TypeId is not set, that is the default tag set used for the content.

• For example, if you wanted to tag content for different purposes,
    > you could specify a TypeId for each special purpose.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this, because if it means what I think it means it could be really useful.

Is there any documentation that you could point me to?  I don't want to waste anyone's time.

My best case hope here is that I could have multiple sets of Tags for each content item.  That the "default" set of tags would appear in the UI, and that the other sets would be hidden to the user.  But I could still search on these hidden tags.

e.g. I could create a document "Vacation Policy", add default tags of "hr, vacation, policies, pto", and then add the tags "ref12345" under the TypeId of "internal".  User would see the default tags, but the "internal" tags could be used to locate documents by and automated system that syncs policy text between Telligent and an external application.

Is that how it works?  Or am I just dreaming?

I often have a need to look up a Telligent content item by some external ID, and I can't put that external ID in the Tags because some user might edit them.  If my guess is accurate, this could be really helpful.

Am I close? 

• Is that how it works?  Or am I just dreaming?

Yes, that's how it works. Different sets of tags (we also support different sets of comments, ratings, bookmarks, likes, etc).

There is not documentation on this, it's a very low-level feature. The TypeId is to be known by the application making use of it. There is no automatically generated UI for typed service usage, it requires UI extensions (though our UI components support specifying the type for basic editing of typed service data).

• Is that how it works?  Or am I just dreaming?

Yes, that's how it works. Different sets of tags (we also support different sets of comments, ratings, bookmarks, likes, etc).

There is not documentation on this, it's a very low-level feature. The TypeId is to be known by the application making use of it. There is no automatically generated UI for typed service usage, it requires UI extensions (though our UI components support specifying the type for basic editing of typed service data).

Children