v10.2 - Edit this Page - empty sections are missing

After upgrading our site from 10.x to 10.2.2.4296 we're now unable to add a widget to a page after changing its layout by selecting a different layout (that has no widgets in that section) via 'Edit this Page' in the management panel. Is this a known issue or are we doing something wrong?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Go to an existing page that will have an empty section. (I.e., if you have a single widget on the page (not the header or footer... irrelevant) and apply a layout that would be empty (so you could then drop a widget into it))
  2. Click the edit icon to open/fly-out the management panel.
  3. Click 'Manage blog Theme'.
  4. Click 'Edit this Page'.
  5. Click the 'Layout' tab.
  6. Select a different layout.
  7. Drop a widget into the empty section ...***

This is where we have a problem. For example, if the page has only one widget (or any number widgets, 1min) and current layout is just a single box (1st selection under the 'Layout' tab) and we then select a different layout (e.g., 6th layout (header, content and right-rail, footer)) the page refreshes with the newly selected layout, however... there's no blue dotted outline around the new (right-rail) section.

Thus far troubleshooting is in the hours, would very much appreciate some guidance if we're doing something wrong or what the next appropriate course of action needs to be.

Parents
  • Can you be more specific with exactly which page you're on, which layout you choose, which widget you attempt to add and where, etc. I'm trying to reproduce this in an out of the box instance and cannot.

• When you say "...exactly which page..." and "out of the box instance"? of course no two solutions are going to have the same URL structure. Seems pretty straight forward and the steps are outlined above.

Are you indirectly saying we've broken something by customizing one or more default widgets?

I'll try to be more clear:

• On our Community root URL: https://{our-domain}.com/community
      • or on any other page whether it is a group:
        • https://{our-domain}.com/community/{group}
      • application:
        • https://{our-domain}.com/community/{group}/{application-key (e.g., ".../f")}
      • or custom-page:
        • https://{our-domain}.com/community/{group}/{custom-page}
    • If there is only one widget on the page (an overly simplified but accurate example).
    • We select another layout for that page.
    • When we move from the Layouts tab to the Widgets tab
    • Then drag a widget on to the canvas from the management panel...

...there is no blue-dotted-outline to drop the widget into.

If you need me to be more specific it's likely best we cover this over the phone and screenshare.

As mentioned above in our original request for support,
    "troubleshooting is in the hours, would very much appreciate some guidance if we're doing something wrong or what the next appropriate course of action needs to be."

This has already caused significant delay. If it is developer-error we'll work to make the necessary corrections but we'll need to know what those are. If you're unable to help us here in this forum please direct us to the appropriate member/team/channel/reach out to our telligent-rep/etc?

• Hi  

Are you indirectly saying we've broken something by customizing one or more default widgets?

No, Steven is trying to help and simply stating he could not reproduce in the steps you outlined. A link would give insight to if it was a custom page, an existing page blog theme page that we could zero in on ... basically more details by breaking down the parts of the url. Nevertheless, there are some more questions if you prefer to continue support here vs contacting Support? Do you see any javascript errors? Initially was thinking that it was related to a single page but from your latest post it happens on *any* page across the site, is that right? You mention the "only one widget on the page" as an overly simplified example which is why I am assuming all pages do this and you have yet to ever see the drop zones? 

If you would like to cover the issue over the phone or screenshare contact our Support team via the support portal: http://support.telligent.com/

• 10 hours later, I'm finally able to read the reply I saw come in on my phone hours ago. Thanks guys for your replies, Stephen for trying to replicate, and Kevin, thanks for leading this horse to water. We'll contact Support first thing in the morning. Very Telligentlemen of you both.

We've found the bulk of our platform assistance here so naturally didn't rely on portal as the go to option for getting some in the know eyes on the issue. Likely this could be resolved here but would more likely require quite a bit of back and forth and more efficient to gather the info and contact support over the phone.

• 10 hours later, I'm finally able to read the reply I saw come in on my phone hours ago. Thanks guys for your replies, Stephen for trying to replicate, and Kevin, thanks for leading this horse to water. We'll contact Support first thing in the morning. Very Telligentlemen of you both.

We've found the bulk of our platform assistance here so naturally didn't rely on portal as the go to option for getting some in the know eyes on the issue. Likely this could be resolved here but would more likely require quite a bit of back and forth and more efficient to gather the info and contact support over the phone.

Children
No Data