Revert customized community to OOTB

We're going to try and look at v10.x (we're currently on 9) when the next hotfix is released next week.  However we have quite a heavily customized site and ideally I'd like to take a look at v10.x with all of our customizations removed.  I would like just the OOTB widgets and styling applied and using our groups, apps and data.

SaaS tells me this is not an option as it's all in the DB and you cannot de-couple all our changes.  I was wondering if I could get a second opinion or more detail.  If we really wanted to do this is the only option to going through an upgraded, customized site, and delete/change things we spot?  Are we forever stuck with our historical tweaking?

• Yes, you can revert fully.

1. Upgrade the site and go through the theme upgrade. Since you're reverting everything, you can go ahead and accept all changes.
    2. Go to Administration > Interface > Widgets,
      1. Change the viewing filter to "Edited Default"
      2. If there are no widgets listed, continue to step 3.
      3. Click the checkmark icon ("select widgets")
      4. Click "Select All Visible"
      5. Click Delete or Revert to Default
    3. Go to Administration > Interface > Themes. For each of the three theme types (site, group, and blog),
      1. Select the theme (Social) and click Revert.
      2. Check all reversion options. By default custom pages are not reverted, but, if you want to also remove all custom pages, change the revert pages drop-down from "platform-defined" to "platform-defined and custom"
      3. Click "Revert and Publish" (since you're reverting everything, preview may not be necessary)

Once you complete step 2 for each of the theme types, the site is fully reverted.

• I managed to get on to a previous stage site we had for v10 and try the steps out.  That's got it a lot closer to OOTB.  Thanks!  Still not looking exactly like (as good as) this community.  Do you know what's missing?

• It looks like some styles are missing. Could you try going to Manage Site Theme > Edit this Theme > Revert > Revert to Factory Default and select all options and publish? Let me know if there are no options.

Also, can you verify that your test site completed the Social theme upgrade post-installation? That's required (otherwise the factory default theme is not updated).