Browser caching/stale content - Telligent 10

There is an existing community post on this topic that recommends updating to Telligent 10.1 -> https://community.telligent.com/community/10/f/ask-the-community/1144789/stale-browser-cache-issue/1600504#1600504.  This is not an option for us in the short term.  Currently you cannot enter a Telligent Support ticket to discuss further - you get a Salesforce Supportdesk error when going to the help desk so I am starting another thread to get feedback.

But we are getting a ton of issues where Telligent is caching content and the rendering looks bad.  We can't ask thousands of users to hit ctrl-F5 and our site is a public site.

Can you do something like setting cache-control with a value of 'max-age=43200' to force browsers to refresh every 12 hours.  This can harm performance, but we have to do something to clean up the look and feel.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mitch

Parents
  • Any change we made would be a code change and would still require you adopt 10.1 as that is the currently active version of 10.   What version are you on and what are your hurdles to taking 10.1?   As a general principal, upgrading to 10.1 is the same process as applying a service pack

• We have found that the upgrade to 10.1 is not as simple as a service pack install and have had discussions with our Telligent Sales Rep and Technical Services already.  It will be a non-trivial effort for us to upgrade - many man hours and likely involving Telligent Services.  We can discuss more offline if you wish.

But are there any thoughts on handling the cache control the way I mentioned above?  Will forcing a cache refresh every 12 hours cause an issue other than performance concerns?

Is there a way for us to append the URL extensions (the query string fix) by editing some of our widgets? 

• I am curious as to why its so complicated, not that I am being dismissive at all I just want to understand so that we can make future improvements if they are needed.

As a general principal, if customizations to the platform were made using supported APIs, those changes will be unaffected in an upgrade(otherwise we consider that a significant bug) unless the API had been previously deprecated and now removed.

From a UI/widget perspective, the same applies.  You can upgrade and leave your theme and widget exactly how they are in your current version and adopt any changes over time.  

So long story short, you can upgrade and not change anything.  Are there specific areas that you are concerned about?

As for your change, its not something done in the platform as part of the software nor something we have tested or certified, therefore you can do it, but it would be unsupported.

• I am curious as to why its so complicated, not that I am being dismissive at all I just want to understand so that we can make future improvements if they are needed.

As a general principal, if customizations to the platform were made using supported APIs, those changes will be unaffected in an upgrade(otherwise we consider that a significant bug) unless the API had been previously deprecated and now removed.

From a UI/widget perspective, the same applies.  You can upgrade and leave your theme and widget exactly how they are in your current version and adopt any changes over time.  

So long story short, you can upgrade and not change anything.  Are there specific areas that you are concerned about?

As for your change, its not something done in the platform as part of the software nor something we have tested or certified, therefore you can do it, but it would be unsupported.

Children
No Data