Server Error in Application after installing 10.1 on my development machine

Following on from my previous problem installing 10.1 on my development system I am following the instructions "How do I install Telligent Community?" I got to the end of the "Install Website" section at point 5 and browsed the site as suggested.

I received the following error which appears to be related to the theme.

I can confirm that I am running using SQL Server 2014 and .NET 4.6.2 well actually 4.7 now.

Your suggestions on what the problem is casing this issue?

Parents
  • Patrick,

Thank you for your feedback and taking into account your feedback and given I was spending many further hours on this issue I decided to start totally again just in case I had missed something.

The first time I used the SQL Install script I did not review all the messages only looking at the end where it said install successful, but this time I reviewed every entry and noted a lot of entries like the following:-

The module 'cs_Group_Add' depends on the missing object 'dbo.cs_Security_CreateGroupRoles'. The module will still be created; however, it cannot run successfully until the object exists.
    The module 'cs_Group_Add' depends on the missing object 'dbo.cs_Security_EffectivePermissions_Calculate'. The module will still be created; however, it cannot run successfully until the object exists.
    The module 'cs_Group_Add' depends on the missing object 'dbo.cs_Groups_UpdateGroupTags'. The module will still be created; however, it cannot run successfully until the object exists.
    The module 'cs_Group_Add' depends on the missing object 'dbo.te_SearchIndex_Update'. The module will still be created; however, it cannot run successfully until the object exists.

There was a large number of these entries which maybe correct or not. No mention was made in the installation guide.

So, is this my problem?

Nevertheless I continued following very carefully every line of the installation instructions and the only point I was not sure about was in the last sentence of section 5 headed "Grant Permissions" which said "You'll also need to go back and set permissions on the Database and Filestorage now the local accounts has been created." The question is "local accounts". What local accounts are they talking about here?

At the end of reinstalling the system I ended up with exactly the same problem I first highlighted.

• The website account (app pool identity) will need to have Modify, Read, and Write permissions on the filestorage/ folder and all of its contents.

Without this, the first-run installation will fail and you'd see the error that you originally encountered.

After correcting the permission issue, be sure to restart the application pool for Telligent Community to ensure that the first-run installation is run again.

Reply Children
  • Ben,

Thank you for your feedback, but I have to report that I still have the same error.

Clearly the error message is correctly stating null exceptions as the database does not have anything in it yet.

I have tried using the DefaultAppPool assigned to the new web site instead of the user IIS APPPOOL\forum2018 but I get the same result.

I can confirm that the filestorage folder has modify, Read and Write permissions for both users and the database has both users added. See image below

IIS AppPool\DefaultAppPool and IIS AppPool\Forum2018

Forum2018 is the name of the website.

In your previous post you stated "be sure to restart the application pool for Telligent Community to ensure that the first-run installation is run again" I must assume the first run installation has not run which I assume adds data to the database?

Please also remember that my development machine is running Windows 7 Ultimate with Service Pack 1

Do you have any further suggestions to help me resolve this issue.

• The only data required to get the site running is the create community stored procedure (step 3 under Install Database). Can you verify that you have a single result when running the following query in your 10.1 database:

select *
    from cs_SiteSettings

If there were an issue with the database connection string, you should have gotten a different error message. The message that you did get could mean that create community wasn't run or that the first-run install failed.

While you're in the database, can you also get the results of the following query and if there are records post them here? (or send them to me in a private message)

select *
    from cs_Exceptions
    order by DateCreatedUtc asc

If there was an error during the first run installation, it should be logged here.

• When I ran "Create Community" after the install script it reported the following

When I ran the cs_SiteSettings I received one entry as below

However when I listed all cs_exceptions there were errors as below

• To make the exception clearer I have taken the first recorded exception and listed it in full below

UnknownException: An error occurred while initializing the plugin: Telligent.Evolution.Components.ThemeFilesFileStore ---> System.NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not supported.
    at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.EmulateFileIOPermissionChecks(String fullPath)
    at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)
    at Telligent.Evolution.Extensibility.Storage.Providers.Version1.FileSystemFileStorageProvider.GetBaseFolder()
    at Telligent.Evolution.Extensibility.Storage.Providers.Version1.FileSystemFileStorageProvider.GetFullLocalPath(String path, String fileName)
    at Telligent.Evolution.Extensibility.Storage.Providers.Version1.FileSystemFileStorageProvider.<GetPaths>d__27.MoveNext()
    at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
    at Telligent.Evolution.Components.ThemeFiles.EnsureLastGoodVersionsExists()
    at Telligent.Evolution.Components.PluginManager.LoadAndInitializePlugins()
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Telligent.Evolution.Platform.Logging.ErrorLogger.PluginInitError(String message, Exception ex)
    at Telligent.Evolution.Components.PluginManager.LoadAndInitializePlugins()
    at Telligent.Evolution.Components.PluginManager.EnsureEnabledPluginsLoadedAndInitialized()
    at Telligent.Evolution.Components.PluginManager.Initialize()
    at Telligent.Evolution.Components.PluginManager.EnsureInitialized()
    at Telligent.Evolution.Components.App.Initalize()
    at Telligent.Evolution.Components.App.EnsureInitialized()
    at Telligent.Evolution.Global.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
    at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
    at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.InvokeMethodWithAssert(MethodInfo method, Int32 paramCount, Object eventSource, EventArgs eventArgs)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ProcessSpecialRequest(HttpContext context, MethodInfo method, Int32 paramCount, Object eventSource, EventArgs eventArgs, HttpSessionState session)
    at System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers)
    at System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context)
    at System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext)

• So it appears that your configuration of the CFS base path in connectionstrings.config is invalid. Can you review it to ensure it is correct?

• The following is the connection string

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <connectionStrings>
    <add name="SiteSqlServer" connectionString="server=KEITHS-DESKTOP2\CEHSERVER2014;uid=xxxxxxx;pwd=xxxxxxxxx;Trusted_Connection=yes;database=FORUM2018" />
    <add name="FileStorage" connectionString="F:/Telligent/Filestorage"/>
    <add name="SearchContentUrl" connectionString="">localhost:8983/.../>
    <add name="SearchConversationsUrl" connectionString="">localhost:8983/.../>
    </connectionStrings>

• The slashes should go the other way: F:\Telligent\Filestorage

• Ben,

Red face on my part for what was a very silly mistake which I cannot believe I made particularly as I looked at the connection String file dozens of times without see the obvious.

Thank you.. I am putting this down to one of my bad weeks, hope next week is better..

However, before I make any more silly mistakes can you please comment on the error reported in Powershell when installing jobserver shown below

• Does your password happen to contain the pattern &xfM1; ? If so the xml parser is thinking you are trying to reference an entity that does not exist. 

• Kevin,

Yes it does. It is part of the password.

Are you saying that there are limitations on the initial password when doing the installation?

Will this effect normal user passwords when the site is fully setup?