Imbedded images randomly disappearing

Hello community - we're working with Telligent support on this, but they have not been able to locate the cause yet. Has anyone else experienced a problem in version 10.0 where images imbedded in content like forum replies, wiki articles and blog posts suddenly disappear? We have mainly noticed it in forum replies - essentially the imbedded image appears when the reply is first posted but at some point later (possibly within 24 hours), it disappears from the site and a black X is shown in its place (in IE). In the file storage section of the application, the file is simply gone with no trace. This appears to happen randomly and we cannot determine the pattern or cause.

Here is an example

Parents
  • That the files return 403 responses means that this is either a request authentication issue or a permission check failure accessing the file. I assume that these files are accessible to unauthenticated users (I was able to navigate to your example and the files were stored within the file store for the forum I had read permission to as an anonymous user). This leads me to suspect your authentication mechanism for failures.

• Hi Ben, thanks for the response, though I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'm signed in as a site admin and I still don't see the images. Same thing when signed out. They were inserted into forum replies, appeared yesterday, and today they do not appear. If you browse to the exact URL of one of the files, it's broken. 

This has been happening seemingly randomly for a while now and Telligent cannot seem to figure it out.

• It's not that the content of the file is missing or corrupted, it is a failure in the authentication of the request. The HTTP request for the file is resulting in a 403 responses which is "Forbidden". The authentication mechanism and the file handler (when validating that the accessing user has permission to view the file) could return this error.

The file access validation would check the accessing user against the forum identified in the path to validate that they have the Read Forum permission. This will fail if the user wasn't identified, the forum doesn't exist, or the user doesn't have that permission.

You could run a test by enabling tracing on your user account in Administration > Monitoring > Tracing, start a trace, access the file directly, and stop the trace. If you see the request in the trace, can you export and send it to me? You can send it in a private message if you'd prefer. If the request doesn't show in the trace, Telligent Community wasn't given the opportunity to handle the request.

• It's not that the content of the file is missing or corrupted, it is a failure in the authentication of the request. The HTTP request for the file is resulting in a 403 responses which is "Forbidden". The authentication mechanism and the file handler (when validating that the accessing user has permission to view the file) could return this error.

The file access validation would check the accessing user against the forum identified in the path to validate that they have the Read Forum permission. This will fail if the user wasn't identified, the forum doesn't exist, or the user doesn't have that permission.

You could run a test by enabling tracing on your user account in Administration > Monitoring > Tracing, start a trace, access the file directly, and stop the trace. If you see the request in the trace, can you export and send it to me? You can send it in a private message if you'd prefer. If the request doesn't show in the trace, Telligent Community wasn't given the opportunity to handle the request.

Children